MALIBU Inner door panel "paper" fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ
So i was lucky enough to get nearly a full inner paper gasket out of my (front) wagon door. It was wrinkled and brittle. I sprayed it down with water and gently laid it flat.
1656962918191.png

From they I traced it on cardboard paper (more about that later). The 2 squares at the bottom didn't look used, so I didn't cut them out.
1656962999833.png

Here is the cut out just sitting on the door handle/window crank. The paper gasket will be approx. 1.5" up and will be duct taped in place instead of urethane, so it can be removed if neccessary.
1656963493067.png

painted black like original

1656963557028.png

After 2 coats of black, I may clear coat it.

As far as this carboard paper goes, it is super thin, like a dimes thickness. I was able to get mine at tractor supply, but they don't sell it. When thier stock orders come in, its UNDER the stock, above the pallet.

1656963798445.png

I waited 6 days, and they had all I wanted. I made a purchase to show "good intentions" and we were both happy.

cardboard paper.jpg

• Creative
Reactions: 4 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Nice DIY! But you know it is available online right? I got all my new stuff from Dixie Restoration Depot. cardboard, and insulation.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Nice DIY! But you know it is available online right? I got all my new stuff from Dixie Restoration Depot. cardboard, and insulation.
But doing it yourself and making it from scratch makes you feel more accomplished. And the price was right!

I would highly advise if it's not already weatherproofed material to do that. If not, you'll run the risk of it absorbing moisture along the way.

Thompson Water Seal makes some spray as well as Rustoleum Never Wet, although a bit pricier. Better safe than sorry.

You can also use matte clear Rustoleum 2X lacquer spray. It's like 4 or 5 bucks at Home Depot.

Tip: Whatever you decide, avoid any and ALL water-based materials. Solvent-based is ok.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor