Inner wheel well removal help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mn84hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 26, 2006
Im trying to remove the inner wheel well so I can replace the power antenna. I removed the 10mm bolts from the steel part of the inner wheel well but therre is also a plastic piece that attaches to it. The plastic piece is the entire inner wheel well. Can some one give me dorection.
Thanks!
Scott

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
That inner fender is a pain in the azz. I had to remove mine to remove the emissions wire harness. I had to remove the plastic wheelhouse from above. Think there was about 10-15 10mm bolts, remove the fender to radiator supportt bracing, remove the resovoire bottle, and charco canister, then lift up. And I think there is 1 or 2 hard to reach bolts near the firewall. Maybe I did it wrong, but there was a lot of cursing involved.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Easiest way IMO is to pull the whole fender, just put some masking tape on the edge of the door and header panel so those do not get scratched up. Since it sounds like you just want to pull the inner fender, take all the bolts around the plastic inner fender that you can find, remove the 3 bolts that go into the rad spport then there will still be 2 bolts and large washers right behind the tire. Don't forget the 2 bolts that are hidden under the AC box. Once you get that out of the way there is one bolt that holds the antenna bracket and remove the nut on top of the fender. The antenna will then drop down.

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
I think the body shop that did my power antenna didn't have to completely pull the whole inner fender, I think they were able to get in there with their hands. However, my motor worked, just the cable that attatches to it and the antenna was broke.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Your going the wrong way...
The antenna is held on by one bolt on the inner fender support where the antenna wire plugs in but you don't have to remove your wheel well to get to it.
To get the antenna out you must losen the outer skin of the fender and slide it out from the bottom.
If you really want to remove that wheel well you must get about 3 feet of extensions and get it in from under the AC box by the passengers side exhaust manifold. Its a huge pain in the *ss, you basically have to find the 3 remaining bolts back there blindly. It's best to get the car up really high and crawl under there. The down pipe and cat AIR pipe, trans lines etc will be in your way as well...
If the engine is out of the car then it's easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor