Installing a 8.5, do I have to change driveshaft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
im looking to get a 8.5 installed in the rear end of an 81 Malibu, I was wondering if the driveshaft was gonna need to be shortened? I'm installing a 6.0 LS with a 4L60 trans. Any advice or opinions will be helpful. Thanks.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I think it's more than likely you will need the driveshaft shortened. It really depends on what transmission your current driveshaft is for.
But a TH350 and 4L60 are within 1/8" of each other, So in theory if you could mount the engine 1" farther forward(measured at the transmission to block mounting surface) of stock then the driveshaft would be fine, although you have to verify this to be exactly sure. Your issue then would be the transmission mount and the hole in the crossmember would be off by 1". This will also cause interference between the crossmember and transmission case/pan. You would have to build a custom crossmember.

Honestly I would install the engine to use a 700R4 crossmember and have a driveshaft made or get the original shortened.

Last edited:

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
If you were to replace the 7.5" rear with the 8.5" rear, you would need to shorten the 7.5" driveshaft 1" to fit. The 8.5" rear requires a 1" shorter driveshaft from the factory in the GN, H/O, and the 442. ... Wait until you're done with your 6.0 Ls engine and trans install and then measure for the driveshaft. The Ls engine may require a slight set back.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor