Installing a floor shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Wanting some input on aftermarket shifters. What's some opinions on the different varieties, and me being cheap, how do they compare with pulling one out of the junkyard?
I've used a couple of old factory shifters, but I can never seem to get them hooked up just right. I need one for my 4l60e in a '79 Cutlass.
Has anyone got a suggestion on this?

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
I am using one out of a 2002 F body in my elky. Just drilled the welds out of the bracket in the camaro, and welded it in the elky. i am using the camaro console as well.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Thanks for the reply. I'll be hitting the junk yard. Can you post a pick of that console setup in your elky?

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
to each their own and I would certainly understand functionality over form in an el camino but the f-body floor shifter is so ugly... Are you guys kidding? The B&M looks way better for a few c-notes and if you get an old one used you can choose an oldschool style shift knob even...

Crd80BU

Greasemonkey
Apr 20, 2012
Ontario, Canada
IMG_0665 - Copy.JPG
I like the g-body console with these 2001 gp seats

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I modified a 78' Trans Am console to fit my Monte and have a B & M Megashifter for f-body installed.
The shifter fits well and sits close to stock height and it works flawlessly and since I have a full manual reverse valve body in my trans I have to shift as much as somebody with a stick so I needed a shifter that locks into each gear and was comfortable to use and it will also work on a 4 speed auto.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor