• Universal-BKUSB80-detailed-image-1.jpg
    Universal-BKUSB80-detailed-image-1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 257
Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I finished installing my Retrosound last night, the dash swap is mostly complete but I wanted to get this in and working, making sure the side speakers work and aren't vibrating on anything as well before I start buttoning it all up. After a momentary lapse of reason, realizing the stock gray wire is for lighting, not constant power, I got it to work and finished mounting it. Lots of adjustments since the radio is kind of universal with their kit, then making it work with the stock bezel, but it's nice in that you can get it to fit and gives you some options on how you perfect you want to get it. The Retrosound brackets needed trimming, or bending the ends in my case.
IMG_4067[1].JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Some advice, don't mix cheap speakers with better ones, especially if the impedance between the two sets doesn't match. The cheap speakers will limit the performance of the good speakers because the cheap ones will distort much sooner. You are probably better off not installing the dash speakers at all instead of doing that. Quality sound is 90% speaker quality. Don't spend all this time and then be really unhappy.

You might try pulling a door panel and seeing if the door frame will take a 4", 6" round or even a 6" x 9". You would have to either buy aftermarket door panels or you could cut a hole in the panels you have now and mount a grill over the hole. I cut the door panels for a 65 GTO I had and it worked a charm.

• Indifferent

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
How about a pic of it installed. I like the look of that radio.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Not to thread hijack but I just finished installing mine. Works great so far, I mounted 4” speakers on the sides, since those work, are newer looking too but haphazardly put in the car loose with the old dash(oh yea, did a dash swap). Had to push the driver side one forward since it was interfering with the gauge cluster, duh. So far sounds good. My wagon didn’t come with rear speakers but that will be changing this year, ran wires for them to the back already.

Retrosound looks great, it does stick out maybe 1/4” or so too far, pushing the bezel out slightly. Nothing bad but not motivated to adjust that right away, will do that on some rainy day. Lots of adjustments can be made to get it how you like and I could get it flush with the mounting bezel if I want. Also in buying the unit you can select chrome or black buttons and a chrome or black outer sleeve. I preferred this combination, chrome buttons and black sleeve.
85403CF5-BF8D-45B8-BDFC-7242366918A7.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Some advice, don't mix cheap speakers with better ones, especially if the impedance between the two sets doesn't match. The cheap speakers will limit the performance of the good speakers because the cheap ones will distort much sooner. You are probably better off not installing the dash speakers at all instead of doing that. Quality sound is 90% speaker quality. Don't spend all this time and then be really unhappy.

You might try pulling a door panel and seeing if the door frame will take a 4", 6" round or even a 6" x 9". You would have to either buy aftermarket door panels or you could cut a hole in the panels you have now and mount a grill over the hole. I cut the door panels for a 65 GTO I had and it worked a charm.

I agree with you said except for the dash speakers. Having good sound by your face is much better than by your feet IMO.
I had four 3 1/2" ? up front and it sounded really good (good 6x9's in the rear with Caddy speaker insulation boxes).
Not competition good but great cruising sound. If you are running 200 amp boosters, then no.
There really is no other options up front. Small dash speakers, Concert Sound door speakers or the kick panel speakers.

That retro radio looks Nice!!

mikeluscher159

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 31, 2017
Well, thanks to all your advice and the bracket from PBGBodyFan, it's in and nearly done
I'm not putting the dash trim back in yet, because I'm gonna put a 3.5mm BT adapter into the aux port, and my HVAC controls need a new vacuum switch
It came out really well, considering the butchered wiring, and the Crutchfield store brand speakers, it sounds worlds better than the old pull out Kenwood with dry rotted speakers from the Reagan administration
I've also gotta rebuild the power antenna, I've got a new antenna and cord, just need to pull the fender and get it over with

Thank you everyone for your help, it's much appreciated
I've got a write up coming on righting emissions wrongs, and how to adapt a new charcoal canister, and how this car ran pig rich since '91, all because of a failed canister purge valve

IMG_20200512_194341.jpg

I've done some swapping when it comes to that damm center speaker
It seems the cheapish matching 3.5 speakers I got are simply too tall for the dash grille to sit flat
And they sound like crap, the ill fitting Retrosound actually sounded really good, complimenting the bigger 6x9's in the adapters in the back quite well
So I broke down and ordered the more expensive Retrosound speaker that's physically shorter, that should hopefully fit
Here's the problem illustrated
D412_with_Dimensions_large.jpg

R-410UK_with_Dimensions_large.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor