Installing big magnet 6x9's

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP4U2NV

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati
Ok, guys and gals. I have a 83 Regal Limited. I bought with no radio or speakers.

I purchased 4 inch and 6X9 kicker speakers for it. I bought the adaptors from Crutchfield.

((((((((((PROBLEM))))))))))))))))

The magnet with the adaptor is too large. I have to push the tension rods down and wedge them in. I dont like it. I know that many people say that they are ok that way. I wont do that.

So without buying new speakers, (cant return the $120 kickers) what options? I am NOT afraid to cut the rear deck.

Anyone done this little help. Looking for OEM-esk looking. (i know the grills will show it isnt oem) :blam: :blam: :blam: :blam: :blam: :blam: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
cut out the rear deck shelf for the speakers and drop em in.

or put them in 6x9 spk boxes and sit them in rear seat as like i did.

CAPERKEV

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2011
just buy the proper 4 x 10 speaker an no more problems, i picked a set pf lpine 4 x 10 very nice sound.

do not put in boxes an stick in the back window, :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: that is the most awful looking thing imaginable. :

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
454cutlass said:
mount them from underneath the rear deck

That's what he's already done but with the adapters it puts the speaker too low and interferes with his trunk torsion rods.

I have heard of some people just leaving out the adapter and screwing the speaker directly to the rear deck. Not very elegant though.

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
thanks for the info...realy didnt know what he ment by tension rods but now i do. i currently have no speakers in my car. i have done a few installs. its on my list of things to finish. installed the radio but thats about it.

would normal 6x9 or 6.5 work in the rear that is what i have laying around

GP4U2NV

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati
What I am wondering is if I can mount them with bolts/screws to the rear deck. It looks like there are 4 holes stamped for the 4x10s to be screwed to. These are factory holes. I know that they should be mounted with the baskets. But, there are screw holes for the 4x10's from the factory.

So can I mount the 6x9's with new holes under the rear deck. Then cut a large opening for the 6x9's?

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Remove the trunk lift springs completely. No more interference. You can snap them out. Your trunk will be heavier, but you can always add trunk shocks and it'll be better than stock that way.

GP4U2NV

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati
I just took the rear shelf and back seat out. I also took the rods out.

I am really not seeing a way to mount these. Towards the rear is the trunk jam. Towards the front is the rear seat. I would need to cut the metal behin the seat and then the packing tray and the rear seat would stick out.

Is this what people do?

I am thinking that I will need to put struts on the trunk and then use the adaptors. Then they will fit.

Also, anyone have a picture of the following:

1) Rear trunk with struts instead of the torsion rods?

2) a 6x9 installed with the adaptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor