installing double din need to know what wire to connect to gear shift wire to enable back up camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

1972cutlass

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2009
I know it needs to connect to the saftey swich on bottom of steering column just not shure which wire at least i think thats were it needs to connect to.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
I know this isnt an answer to your question, but when I installed my stereo with dvd/back up camera functions I just grounded that wire. Everything works no matter what gear Im in. I have a flip out screen and my kids can watch movies on long drives. Found out on the internet that this is a common way to bypass hooking it up to the NSS. So this might work for you too.
I believe manufacturers instruct you to hook it up to the neutral safety switch because of liability stuff. Driver distractions and things like that.
Do you mind sharing where you mounted your camera? I have been trying to think of a spot to mount mine where it wont look like $h!t.

1972cutlass

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2009
ive already done the bypass and havent bought the camra yet just trying to hok up wire so that when i put in reverse it will go from watching dvds to the reverse camera

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
When I put a camera on my suburban, I ran a wire to the backup light in the tail light to trigger the reverse camera override, along with the rca for the camera.

Last edited:

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I have a backup cam in my car and I grounded it too, it's in my rearview mirror. Getting the camera to consistently work when switching reverse and back is possible but why do it. It's illegal to drive around watching dvd's anyway and how often are you really going to be driving around watching tv that this issue is going to come up how annoyed you are waiting a split second for the dvd to come back on after leaving reverse to enter 'drive'. Even with just the reverse cam on I still got pulled over b/c a cop thought I was watching tv driving around. It would have been $150 ticket if the accusation had been true - I hear now its more like twice that in some spots. I say don't bother with it. I was going to 'drive around watching music videos' and was very concerned about this same subject matter a few years ago but in retrospect now I could give a damn about it and I'm happy w just the reverse cam only, which I can over-ride easily by just plugging in an aux cord to the port when I'm ready to put something on, but the screen is so small its like why bother. When I tried to put in practice my theory of the enjoyability of driving around watching tv I realized I don't even like driving around watching tv because it's stupid and distracting. They are two activities that just don't belong together no matter who spits it what way. I thought I was going to really enjoy driving around watching tv but it's actually pretty boring when you put it into practice, even most passengers dont end up watching the vid stream for long time w/o getting 'motion sickness' eventually. May I suggest mounting a screen in the trunk instead; me and my friends have never been like 'lets go sit in my car and watch tv' but my guy a flat screen in his trunk uses his tv all summer at bbq's and car shows to watch tv. He gets a lot more use out of his screen than I thought I would use my din screen for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor