Installing GN radiator baffles on a 88 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
So I am installing a better factory air deflector under the rad support, thanks Kevin. I also bought the 3 piece GN radiator baffle set, it looks like one side goes under the deflector to be bolted on. Where does the bumper side attach, the torque head chrome bumper bolts? No instructions, just pics on the website. Thanks

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
So I am installing a better factory air deflector under the rad support, thanks Kevin. I also bought the 3 piece GN radiator baffle set, it looks like one side goes under the deflector to be bolted on. Where does the bumper side attach, the torque head chrome bumper bolts? No instructions, just pics on the website. Thanks

Are you talking about the rubber pieces that force the air into the radiator? On the Buicks on the bumper side they attached to the grille with 5 push clips

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes. Ok, I will see how I can attach them to my Euro front.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I got it installed. There were to small holes just below the grills in where the bumper attaches to. There are also 4 studs beside the factory side flaps. I used the bottom two studs to attach the corners and used the excess to to fill the small corner gaps. The other side, the slots and holes on the side flaps lined up with the outside bolts. The 2 center holes on the inside didn't line up but no biggie.

Reactions: 4 users

87CutSalon

n00b
Jun 10, 2018

I’m look to install a better air deflector on my 87 cutlass salon and I was wondering how did this setup you installed on your cutlass work out?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Interested to see pictures of this feature. I only know the single Malibu-style baffle of hard (now brittle) plastic that bolts onto the bottom the rad support. I took mine off and pitched it years ago since it had been massaged by some parking bumpers over the years. I found a decent used urethane SS air dam that probably makes the deflector OBE. Anybody know if was the case with El Camino SS - no deflector if you have the air dam from the factory?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Interested to see pictures of this feature. I only know the single Malibu-style baffle of hard (now brittle) plastic that bolts onto the bottom the rad support. I took mine off and pitched it years ago since it had been massaged by some parking bumpers over the years. I found a decent used urethane SS air dam that probably makes the deflector OBE. Anybody know if was the case with El Camino SS - no deflector if you have the air dam from the factory?
Quinn,
From what I can tell, the air dam replaced, or substituted the stock factory deflector. The SS air dam fastens to where the standard deflector bolts to on the radiator support. I've had both on my car. They both serve the same purpose in a sense.
MVC-472S.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX

A Bumper mounted air dam doesn't really help radiator cooling like a core support Air Dam would.

The purpose of the core support air dam is to make a lower pressure area behind the radiator when moving. A bumper mounted airdam can make a lower pressure area in front of the radiator

On a street car, bottom feeding the radiator (under the bumper) is a good strategy. On a 200 mph race car mixing it up with a pack of cars, this is bad idea, but keep it below 180 mph and don't draft anybody, getting all of the air below the grille and it will be fine.

Even with a deep airdam, unless the car cannot drive over a speed bump with out the airdam hitting, there is enough gap than a core support airdam will help cooling.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It works great. Basically it makes the air dam unnecessary but I already had a better one from Kevin on here, so I installed it. I will take pics tonight. I think I put the side pieces in wrong but still covers the whole area in front of the rad.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My 86' Regal with a 307 came with the factory radiator baffles and the plastic air deflector on the core support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor