Installing Thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Happy Friday everyone

I did not pay attention to the orientation of the old thermostat, swapping it for a 180 (Stant)

Does it have to put back in a specific way?
I know for sure the longer end goes into the block.

Tried looking in the book, didn’t see anything on orientation of it, if it matters.

Thanks

Attachments

• BBACFAFE-071E-4BD7-B900-6DC579BE4CC5.jpeg
    BBACFAFE-071E-4BD7-B900-6DC579BE4CC5.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 575D58F8-16EE-448D-92A2-FE7304C5EE60.jpeg
    575D58F8-16EE-448D-92A2-FE7304C5EE60.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 135

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
would anyone know if changing to a thermal heavy duty fan clutch would see a temp improvement? not sure what type came on a 4.3L

i have been at 220f avg, creeps up lil higher when in traffic

tomorrow i’ll see temp after changing thermostat

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
would anyone know if changing to a thermal heavy duty fan clutch would see a temp improvement? not sure what type came on a 4.3L

i have been at 220f avg, creeps up lil higher when in traffic

tomorrow i’ll see temp after changing thermostat
Does it have a fan shroud?

Is the fan clutch good? With the engine OFF turn the fan it should be stiff. If you try to spin it it should only move a little bit. If it turns an 1/8 of a turn or so it is getting weak if it turns further it is bad.

Last edited:

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Does it have a fan shroud?

Is the fan clutch good? With the engine OFF turn the fan it should be stiff. If you try to spin it it should only move a little bit. If it turns an 1/8 of a turn or so it is getting weak if it turns further it is bad.
Yes, there is a fan shroud.
The clutch fan definitely does not appear stiff to me. When i spin it i do feel some resistance.

I took a video

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Yes, there is a fan shroud.
The clutch fan definitely does not appear stiff to me. When i spin it i do feel some resistance.

I took a video
Looks worn out. Go to the parts house and ask for the correct one and turn it. You will see how stiff it should be.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The only way to really check them is to warm up the car to operating temperature first. The entire idea behind the fan clutch is to engage when your sh*t gets hot.

If it's cold, it'll be real easy to turn, but with slight fluid resistance. At that point, you can check to see if you have any play in the end of it up and down, and check for fluid leakage. Leaks and wobbles are a problem.

If you can get someone to cut the ignition off when you get the car to operating temperature, you can watch the fan when the engine stops. If it turns less than 1/2 turn extra when the engine stops, it's still good. If it spins more than that, it's likely a goner.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
The only way to really check them is to warm up the car to operating temperature first. The entire idea behind the fan clutch is to engage when your sh*t gets hot.

If it's cold, it'll be real easy to turn, but with slight fluid resistance. At that point, you can check to see if you have any play in the end of it up and down, and check for fluid leakage. Leaks and wobbles are a problem.

If you can get someone to cut the ignition off when you get the car to operating temperature, you can watch the fan when the engine stops. If it turns less than 1/2 turn extra when the engine stops, it's still good. If it spins more than that, it's likely a goner.
ill give that a shot this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor