EL CAMINO Instrument Panel wiring issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boots

n00b
Jan 1, 2022
Purchased my Toy here 7 years ago and it is nearing completion , will send more pics of completed car when done. Anyways I'm fighting with the Instrument Cluster Wiring . Instrument Cluster had been removed for clean up and painting . Once gauges were put back into car they did not work properly , Start car up Tach worked and the clock as well as the lights so to me this ruled out a ground issue. These all worked when I started this process and new sending units have been installed and checked. What I have found though is the Connector plug that goes into the back of the Gauge cluster if I wiggle this the gauges seem to work. There is nothing holding this plug in Solid other than a piece of plastic on the Dash itself . Any ideas as to how to fix this because I plain out of ideas. One would think this plug would snap into cluster . Any help would be great .

Attachments

• Phone pictures Jan 14 2014 001.jpg
    Phone pictures Jan 14 2014 001.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Phone pictures Jan 14 2014 002.jpg
    Phone pictures Jan 14 2014 002.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20210109_112520.jpg
    20210109_112520.jpg
    969.7 KB · Views: 84

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Boots, here's a tip you can try. The metal contact clips for the harness have been sitting in the back of the instrument panel since the manufactured date. More than likely, they have lost the necessary pressure to make good contact. Try lightly pulling on the free edge of the clip.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I agree with ssn696 above, also when I changed the dash in my 79 Monte Carlo to gauges I also used a O Ring pick to lightly bend the center of each brass strip outward so as to contact the printed circuit when reinstalled.
Hopefully these ideas may work.

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Use a pencil eraser to clean the copper traces on the printed circuit plastic, gently erase out toward the edge of the contacts, Agree with above clean the brass contacts and bend them ever so slightly out where they stick out the most.

Reactions: 2 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Clean the connectors, and also try gently having all of the contacts bent slightly, so that it fits more tight for whatever clusters.

The other alternative which I would honestly consider if theres damage, is bypass the plug and solder each wire to the respective gauge. Check the schematics available if you so choose.

Boots

n00b
Jan 1, 2022
Boots, here's a tip you can try. The metal contact clips for the harness have been sitting in the back of the instrument panel since the manufactured date. More than likely, they have lost the necessary pressure to make good contact. Try lightly pulling on the free edge of the clip.
Hey thanks , seems to have done the Trick and all Gauges seem to be working . To my surprise even the Clock has seen fit to go . Thanks again 57 Handyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor