Insulation Removal Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys...

This will probably be a really dumb question. But my GP has the narmal underhood insualtion material stuff. And like almost all original cars, it's certainly seen better days. Is it safe to just remove it altogether? Like not put anything else on? My old Accord had nothing and it was fine. My Monte and Cobalt just have these tiny things. I'm just sick of getting my engine bay progressively cleaner, than having these chunks of asbestos falling all over the place.

:roll:

Dennis C.

n00b
Jan 6, 2006
Warren,MI
I'm not to familiar with Grand Prix. My Cutlass I removed the insulation and my chrome trim that goes down the middle of the hood peeled on the backside were the gasket mates with the hood. Well it peeled on the side so the gasket is rippled on one side going up the hood it kind of looks bad.I personly would remove and replace it if you have a chrome trim going down the center of your hood. You can get new insulation off Ebay sometimes with new saucer clips.
Dennis

gman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2006
Winnipeg
insulation removal safe

You can safely remove the insulation. It is only sound deadener. There is no asbestoes in it.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: insulation removal safe

gman said:
You can safely remove the insulation. It is only sound deadener. There is no asbestoes in it.

I figured. I was just kidding.

:wink:

But yeah, my GP has... Well... HAD the center chrome strip. It's gona now. I just have dots. Where can you get that chrome strip? Any NOS sources to get it from?

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
arent they designed to melt the tabs that hold it on, and have it drop down on the engine in the case of a fire, to smother the fire out? plus, the underhood temps cant be good for the paint on the hood... just a few thoughts, i may be wrong

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
All I know is my 93 Accord didn't have any insulation. nothing bad ever happened. The paint was perfect, top and bottom. Just don't try to sit on the hood, it was a bit warm. lol. My uncles 64 Cobra doesn't have any either. I plan on eventually doing either a hood heat extractor (think 80's Trans Am) or small rise-reverse air scoop on the hood anyway. That'll minimalize the rising temps, if there even are any. That's how I figure it!

8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor