Insulation

G

Gig

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 5, 2020
San Antonio
Hooker headers on my LS/Camino swap. Jegs is selling insulation. Engine compartment or in the cab. Need some advice

G

Gig

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 5, 2020
San Antonio
Hooker headers on my LS/Camino swap. Jegs is selling insulation. Engine compartment or in the cab. Need some advice
Should I install the insulation on the fire wall in the engine compartment or would be better to put insulation under the dashboard and under the carpets?

UC645

UC645

Master Mechanic
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Should I install the insulation on the fire wall in the engine compartment or would be better to put insulation under the dashboard and under the carpets?
Put it under the dash and carpet. Use header wrap for the exhaust where you feel it’s necessary.
I wouldn’t put insulation on the firewall or underside of the car unless it was a sort of heat reflective tape, if it’s dual layer stuff that’s just giving rust a place to start.

fleming442

fleming442

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Dec 26, 2013
Are you looking for a reduction in heat, sound, or both? For heat, you want something foil backed, and for sound, you want something that converts vibration into heat, like a DynaMat style product. For both, you can get foil backed sound deadener. But, it should be installed in the passenger compartment, either way- nothing on the engine side. There are also the foil faced foam insulation hood pads as well.....

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor