Interesting History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
0330160727.jpg
So earlier Today I dropped off supplies to one of my customers at this old church and the superintendent asks me if I want to see some really old swastika symbols and he lit up his phone and in the foyer area around the perimeter there were a few of them on the floor along with various other symbols.
They had torn up some old subfloor and this was underneath, the church is 175+ years old and has been built upon a few times and the final was finished in 1917 but they believed this to be part of the 1880's renovations.
The swastika apparently meant "well being" or something along those lines back then and the current minister had no idea these were under the old flooring.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is so cool and thanks for sharing. I like historical documentatires better than the current junk on tv and movies. . It's too bad that Hitler used the swastika sign and ruined it's real meaning

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Before the jackass Nazi's got to it, it was a symbol of good fortune or luck. The word itself is from the Sanskrit language with “su” meaning “well” and “asti” meaning “being" and as words do they evolve and change over time to eventually become swastika.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
When I'm in Japan I see it at Buddhist temples and whatnot. They still use it as a map marker for temples. It's turned "spinning" the opposite direction, but there just the same. Interesting that it would find its way into a church, though. That's a bit unusual. What kind of church was it back then? Also wonder if the other symbols had any meaning, I don't recognize them as being anything. Some goofy masonic-type thing maybe?

IMG_1781.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
My wife grew up in a town called Kirkland Lake in northern Ontario. The nearest railway station to Kirkland Lake is in a town nearby called Swastika.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
That's cool. This girl I know, her parents house in Kenmore NY, if you lift up the carpet in the front hallway of their house the whole foyer is surrounded by swastika's all the way around. The house was built between 1900 and 1920, before the Nazi's. Really cool. Beautiful home too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor