Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
so i have tried searching and searching
i have a wideband in my car and i would like to add a trans temp gauge
i want to add a two pod console gauge
but i need to know my color
i know there are a couple greys out there
thanks!!!
If you’ve still got the rear seat insulation in your car, pull the rear seat both upper and lower. You’ll need Torx PLUS sockets to get the seat belt bolts out. I’ve taken a few out and have been lucky enough to find a build sheet. You can also decipher your cowl tag for info.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I have a grey one from a 1947 GMC truck...

And one from a 1979 AMC.

Kinda helps when someone provides a year, make, and model at the minimum.

I'm going to guess ARGENT. Yeah, that's what you need.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
In 1983, the only "gray" gray I am aware of is the "Sand Gray" color. It was available on the Caliais if it was White (Code 11), Black (Code 19) or Dark Maple Red (Code 78) exterior color IIRC. Sand Gray had both light and dark gray colors used in the same interior.

They did have some sort of "Grayfern" interior color that was close to a gray, but it only came on White cars, or Light or Dark Grayfern exterior colors. More greenish gray.

Does yours look like this? This is a sand gray, interior color Code 60. If you're painting an A-pillar you would need the light section, but if you're mounting it on the dash, you'll need the darker stuff to match. Dash is charcoal. Straining to recall but I believe it's a code 17 for the dash, but don't quote me on that. It's really fugged up because I believe they used a different color carpet with it too. So you can't just say "sand gray" unless you're talking about the lighter parts.

1589892158481.png

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
You can see how many shade of gray were available here.
1984-Gm-pg09.jpg

This is medium grayfern. A big difference from a normal gray.

IMG_0522.JPG

Last edited:

awdblazer

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2013
In 1983, the only "gray" gray I am aware of is the "Sand Gray" color. It was available on the Caliais if it was White (Code 11), Black (Code 19) or Dark Maple Red (Code 78) exterior color IIRC. Sand Gray had both light and dark gray colors used in the same interior.

They did have some sort of "Grayfern" interior color that was close to a gray, but it only came on White cars, or Light or Dark Grayfern exterior colors. More greenish gray.

Does yours look like this? This is a sand gray, interior color Code 60. If you're painting an A-pillar you would need the light section, but if you're mounting it on the dash, you'll need the darker stuff to match. Dash is charcoal. Straining to recall but I believe it's a code 17 for the dash, but don't quote me on that. It's really fugged up because I believe they used a different color carpet with it too. So you can't just say "sand gray" unless you're talking about the lighter parts.

View attachment 146510

yes looks like the dash
i did find my build sheet so it should be on there?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Look on the cowl at the base of the windshield for the Fisher Body plate for the color code. There should be a 60 on it for Sand Gray. That code covers all shades used for the interior as certain components are of different shades/hues. If you do have a build sheet, boxes 60, 61, 69, 70, 77, 87 will say what color/code for certain interior components.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor