Interior hard plastics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanic80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
I've not seen any posts on renewing hard plastic trim, only replacing pieces IF they're even available $$$$$$$$$$$$.. Unless your pieces are actually busticated (technical term), I've had great success removing the powdery, crusty layers with sandpaper then using a heat gun to restore some originality to the piece and then using vinyl colorant (seatsrestore has the best selection from what I've found.) Finish with low luster or flat clear sealant (also seatsrestore) and you have a pretty darn close to original piece to work with! You can also use the colorant/sealer trick on soft vinyl, but I've found that to be less permanent. I had to replace the A pillar trim because it was actually falling apart, but I used the colorant/sealer method on the B pillar molding and the hard plastic surrounding the quarter windows, the lower door panel and beyond. Saves lots of money too! FYI #452, (#S12156) is a PERFECT match for the dark blue color on my '81 Grand Prix. Get more than what you think you might need. And get the clear sealer too, it really helps the finish last a long, long time. Checkout fleabay. Oh yeah, it's water based! I've done almost all of the interior hard surfaces with a '4 seat kit' for way under $100 with great results. Suitable for color change with a heavier coat.
20210112_094302.jpg
20210112_094518.jpg
20210112_113523.jpg
20210112_113538.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
pic's.....

I have the entire interior from my 79 W30 H/O in boxes .
It's all powdery, crusty layers but it's all there if some one's looking.. its the tan Derma Grain vinyl

location Ma

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
When i did my interior i was happy with the SEM line of stuff

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
To be honest I would have tried to find lowers in better shape instead of working with stuff thats dried out. Much less work to refinish and most likely better results. G body 2 door lowers are all over the place.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
would really like to see your process. have some swivel seats that could use it but didn't have any info on how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor