Interior lights not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverShadow87

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2011
my 79 Monte is having electrical issues, none of my interior lights work. I've checked the fuses, and they're good... bulbs are fine... gauges work fine... just not the backlighting for them, climate control or the door open lights. what else could it be?

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
i had the same problem with my 84 cutlass, turned out to be the plugs in the back of the guages were dirty.. i had the guages out doing my new dash and decided to clean all the contacts since i had it out and when i plugged it back in all my lights started working...

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
SilverShadow87 said:
my 79 Monte is having electrical issues, none of my interior lights work. I've checked the fuses, and they're good... bulbs are fine... gauges work fine... just not the backlighting for them, climate control or the door open lights. what else could it be?

I'm suspecting the headlight switch.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
SilverShadow87 said:
would that be possible even if it turns the exterior lights off/on just fine?

Yep, very possible since that's the dimmer switch as well. If there's no contact you won't get any lights inside period. I even had a bad cigarette lighter in my '85 SS that would cause the pwr locks and courtesy light fuses to blow....weird huh?

Stuck door jamb switches are another common one if you get nothing when you open the door.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
SilverShadow87 said:
hmm... the only option is to replace it?

You can get out there with a multi-meter or test lamp to check it first. Testing circuits for continuity is actually the preferrred way to find electrical problems instead of throwing money at it. You just have to find out which pins to check for continuity.

gbondo57

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2010
Central Okla/USA
For what it's worth. The dome/courtesy lites, I believe, have a constant hot. The door switches complete the ground. I got my 79 ElCo with 1 working guage light on the dash. Concerning the dash, if you have the old style speedo across the top of the gauge cluster, rather than the round ones, check this. My dash also has a small clock on the rite side-dead. The printed circuit # is 25016403. OPGI is L230013. NOW, i found burn marks on it, the lites contact it at plug in. I WANTED that CLOCK to work! Not sure which way, but it has a hot going thru a ground loop or vice versa. That clock almost toasted my new circuitpaper. I left the hot wire to the clock out and alls fine. :roll: Mine has the wiper switch on the dash. The headlite switch is a sensable replacement, given the age anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor