MONTE CARLO Interior Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckfenn1

Greasemonkey
Oct 16, 2020
Does anyone know of a website or store that sell vinyl interior paint? I am looking for Sky Blue/baby blue/light blue vinyl or plastic paint..picture of color attached.

Attachments

• Car color.jpg
    Car color.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 95

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
The closest you're probably going to find without a custom mix, is GBodyParts.com color #1624 - Light Blue. It's a factory match for 1978-80 G Body interiors.

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
66 Auto Color online is another. They specialize in SEM Products. I’ve used them. They’ll make any color you want even in aerosol cans.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If you have a shop that mixes PPG and/or SEM they will have chip books to compair to match the shade you want.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
This is the factory light blue for 79 GM. My buddy had a paint supplier mix the SEM Color Coat and I sprayed most of the pieces for him. Kick panels, headliner trim, rear panels, rear window trim, armrests, all the seat trim and the console lid. He bought the new door panels. Looks pretty nice with the dark blue car.

11254104_10207062636671452_8938307923636371861_n.jpg

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
If you choose SEM. Use ALL the prep products and procedures they tell you to. My interior was my first time using it and it came out real nice. One thing I learned the hard way. NEVER wipe down a painted part with anything but water. I went to install a part that I painted weeks earlier. It sat in the garage and had dust on it. I wiped it down with wax and grease remover. It took the paint off.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
A guy I know asked me if I could spray a bunch of parts for his interior. I gave him a list of products to buy from SEM. By the time he was ready to get them done I was totally involved with my wagon. I told him I'd be glad to do the stuff but it wouldnt be for at least 4 weeks. He didnt want to wait so he did it all himself. Weeks leter he called me and told me all the stuff he sprayed was peeling off in sheets. The rubber dash pad had color coming off as he was putting it in the car. As soon as the dash was flexed. Turns out he decided to take the cheap way out and didnt buy ANY of the SEM stuff I wrote down on the list. He cleaned the parts with Windex. Yup. Glass cleaner. He didnt bother to use an adhesion promoter either.
I felt bad for him but I gave him specific products to buy. Not an expensive list. At that point he was pretty bummed. He didnt know how to get the stuff off the pieces he sprayed. I told him to use wide masking or duct tape. Put it down and pull it off. Im pretty sure he got the majority of the color off. Last time I saw the car the interior looked good. I have no idea what he wound up doing. After the first time I didnt want to get involved.
The guy with the Camaro ? Known him for years. Hes owned the car since it was a year old. I did all those pieces for him because he liked the way the door panels in my 81 came out. Did it as a favor. He just bought the color. I had the rest. Over 20 parts and everything looked fresh. About 3 weeks after I did it he pulls into my driveway to show me how everything looked back together. As soon as I opened the right door I noticed the armrest looked "off". The color was different than the rest of the parts I sprayed. It was rubber. He says "I wasnt going to say anything but Im glad you spotted that". He goes on to tell me that he went online and did some research. It was because I used Bulldog adhesion promoter instead of the SEM brand. I called SEM. I called the makers of Bulldog. Both said it wouldnt matter. Turns out my friend never told me that the armrests were once painted by his neighbor with lacquer and he used paint stripper to remove the lacquer before he gave the parts to me. The guy at SEM said the chemicals from the stripper probably soaked into the rubber and it will always change whatever it gets coated with. To this day every part still looks like the day I sprayed them. Hes gotten compliments at cruise nights. I offered to spray another armrest of he can find one. He has some color left. He told me he doesnt want to take the armrest off again. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Never again. SMFH

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
As mikester stated, always used the required cleaners/prep materials for the system being used. It's cheaper to buy what is needed once than having to redo/undo the cheap way out. I have everything the PPG P-sheets says to use for my color changes for both the vinyl/soft parts dye & the lacquer for the hard parts. I've done a steering wheel, spare door panels (FYI, that mylar chrome comes off wih the fine line masking tape leaving just the gray plastic heat bonded to the panel), & a kick panel with great long term results. Even did columns with the lacquer & still holding up. My opinion is avoid the spray bombs & go with the made mix.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor