Interior plastic restore. Step by step

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I posted this in my Salon build thread but thought I would post it here. Hopefully end up a sticky. I want to say that this is how I do it. There may be other ways but I got awesome results and pretty cheap. With my aero Salon, I did not have an option to buy new panels. Finding good used ones are non existent. Anyway on to step one. I used a portable sandblaster from Tractor Supply around $90. Harbor Freight has a gun that has a hopper on top you put the sand in for around $20 and I'm sure it would work too. I used medium coal slag media. I'm sure just about anything will work. After blasting there were craters and gouges that were left from deeper sun damage. If you end up with an area that blew through, I'd recommend the chrome backed tape used on ducts. That stuff is sticky. You could use a 2 part epoxy also. After taping the back side of the hole, fill it with epoxy or putty. Use a glazing putty and hardner and spread it over the deep areas. I sanded it with 120 grit dry on a medium density foam block. If you don't block it, it will be visible. I wiped it down with wax and grease remover. I then tach ragged it. I shot on a pretty good coat of Dupli Color bed liner in an aerosol can. I let it flash off and shot a second wet coat on. This stuff takes hours to dry so my suggestion is to wait till the next day. I then used a piece of 320 grit dry and lightly rubbed down the texture. Just enough to start flattening it off. This makes it look like the factory grain. Then wipe it, tach it, and spray on your SEM vinyl and plastic interior paint. I don't have any before pics only what I started with today. I had previously shot on roll on bed liner hoping it would fill the low areas which it did NOT do.

salonplasticrepair.jpg salonplastic2.jpg salonplastic3.jpg salonplastic6.jpg salonplastic4.jpg salonplastic5.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I really like the idea of using the bed liner aerosol, then scuffing it down. It gives the plastic the factory "grain" appearance! Well done on that idea sir!

Hopefully one of our fine moderators will convert the thread over to a sticky as you suggested. That way everybody can see the process.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That looks good, man. A friend of mine suggested using walnut shells to blast plastic interior parts...probably not as aggressive as other types of media.
Btw, I have tried the SEM texture coating on my tailgate panel,. It came out pretty good. I also had to fill some gouges and pock marks.
Just like in your case, tailgate inner panels cannot be found for love or money.

Using the bed liner is a great idea.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I used the SEM texture coating .... almost $30 per can works great but it will not fill any deep gouges, cracks or severe sun damage.
The texture coating that I used came in an aerosol can. It will not fill cracks and gouges, that's where you need a surface filler/ putty.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Stickied...
HAFROD, would it be ok with you if this thread is used as a repository for others methods, tips and trick as well?

Edit, so there is a sticky for panel dying already.....I'll leave it up to GP as to whether we need a second with similar info.....
Perhaps this thread could be a repair/dye how to?

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor