interior seat ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roachownsu

Greasemonkey
May 24, 2013
Hey guys.. I've been trying to find some descent seat upgrades... does any one have any ideas on interchangeable new style front bucket seats for my 85 cutlass? I was maybe thinking some newer model seats out of a 2004 Monte SS... PICS WOULD HELP TO.. THANX

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The newer Monte seats are definitely nice, as are the newer GTO seats that some people have swapped into G bodies. Some of the newer seats tend to be a bit bulkier though, and can be harder to fit into the amount of space in a G body. Most GM bucket seats (not all, but most) manufactured over the past 30 years or so have the same seat track bolt mounting pattern as the original G body bucket seats, and are therefore interchangeable, as long as you use the proper G body bucket seat tracks (power or manual).
This past winter, I installed a pair of bucket seats from a 1996-98 Grand Am GT in my '84 Monte SS, along with the rear seat that came out of a 1984 Buick GN that had the Lear Seigler seat option. The Grand Am seats have seat bottoms that are slightly longer, so they're more comfortable for people with longer legs. The driver's side seat has a manual lumbar adjustment, which makes it a bit more comfy too. The rear seat from the Buick is much more contoured than a stock G body rear seat, and looks WAYY better too. I had the seats re-upholstered to match the interior, and it turned out very well. Sorry, I'm not good at posting pics.
The pont that I'm trying to make is that you have a really wide variety to choose from, so try to look around before you make a decision. Try to take some measurements too, just to make sure that things will fit. Good luck.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I saw this on the El Camino Owners Facebook page. The seats and console are from a 2010 Sebring, They look like a good fit for a G- Body. They have the sholder belts built into the seat frame.

Attachments

• 1506940_10203747156972408_3687146216032611763_n.jpg
    1506940_10203747156972408_3687146216032611763_n.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,729

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
In some states you could get turned around at a vehicle inspection if the seat doesn't have the loops so keep that in mind. The ss seats are comfortable but it woulds be pretty lame to leave them stock because it says 'SS' in a Cutlass? Lame. The early 90s fwd olds seats in tan or blue leather also fit and they say oldsmobile on them at least but you would have to find the coupes or the front seat wont have the loops for the seat belt guide on the side. Yes they are heavier but they are leather and very comfortable

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
I did 2005 Grand Prix GTP seats in mine, front and rear. The fronts had to be adapted to my 86 electric tracks and I used the 2006 seat switch. It matches the 86 color codes wire for wire. I also used the rear seats. I put the rear lower cover from the 06 on my 86 seat frame and used the 06 upper. There are a couple of photos in my gallery. I have the 06 console now that I need to install. It looks much better than the earlier console that I have in it now.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The only caution that I would recommend, is taking some measurements of the amount of width that you have available in your G body before you commit to the purchase of any seat, and make sure that there is room for it. I have a pair of leather bucket seats here from a 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, and the SSEi seats are too wide to fit in the space between the G body console and the door when its shut. Good luck with your search. Let us know how it works out.

roachownsu

Greasemonkey
May 24, 2013
I'm deffantly trying to put some new monte SS seats in the front just wondering if the rear seat would fit... how would I be measuring the rear seats? And right now I have manual front bucketts.. if I wanted to convert to the electric front seats out of the monte.. how would I know if the seat tracks would fitt?

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
The seat tracks should be identical in both instances and the rear seat of up to at least 2004 SS should fit Cutlass too. There is only any issue with seat tracks between bench/ bucket switching back and forth. If the rear seat is not an exact fit you can trim it down anchor it in place by getting some cheap metal rods from the hardware store and sort of lock the seat in place. I got some rods to install a large sign from ace and anchored the seat in place. They weld with even just a cheap soldering iron is enough to weld these rods, no need for flame

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor