Internet Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My Kaspersky is about to expire so I've been looking to see what is the best and available. It's impossible for a simpleton like myself to decide what is best but the sites that review the software are sponsored by one of the companies who develops the software so thee so no real use. I'm going to try Bitdefender this time and for their total security program for 5 pc I got it for $19.99 Canadian using the coupon RENEWAL-EXP-19.99 Here is the link to the site I found it at in case anyone else is interested...

https://slickdeals.net/f/10546384-b...2018-up-to-5-devices-1-year-new-renewal-19-99

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My operating system is kind of old will this work on my Windows 1.0?
Or maybe I need to upgrade to Windows 1.01.
upload_2017-9-13_9-43-45.png

Reactions: 1 user

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Windows 7 is fine for now but I believe that Microsoft is ending support for it at some time..

All of the following steps are just my opinion so proceed with caution (I'm not an expert):
-Automatic Windows updates are good
-Windows defender is good enough (incorporated within Windows)
-Make sure that you have scheduled virus scan setup on your machine
-Make sure to utilize a 'standard user' account and not an 'administrator' account
-Only visit sites that are common
-Only download files from trusted sites (directly from vendor and not mirror site)
-Only download files from large common vendors
-Utilize a good browser such as Firefox
-Run CCleaner every time after you finish with a browsing session

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My operating system is kind of old will this work on my Windows 1.0?
Or maybe I need to upgrade to Windows 1.01.
View attachment 73625

I think you will be safe without it, I doubt any hackers are familiar with Window 1.0 and they probably figure anyone running 1.0 would not have a credit card or any worthwhile info ......:D

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Windows 7 is fine for now but I believe that Microsoft is ending support for it at some time..

"Microsoft doesn't plan to stop fixing security problems in Windows 7 until extended support ends. That's January 14, 2020"

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Also, cookies aren't bad. There was a time when they could be "stolen" from site to site but that's a long time ago.... Unless you enjoy logging into every site all the time and none of your settings etc. are persistent. I had to fight tooth-and-nail with my parents on this one. BUT COOKIES THO. Running CCleaner all the time is pretty unnecessary. Ad blockers, well, I really wish you wouldn't, but that's your prerogative.

"Microsoft doesn't plan to stop fixing security problems in Windows 7 until extended support ends. That's January 14, 2020"

And then there will still be people like "why won't your website work properly on my pewter?"

• Informative

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Ad blockers, well, I really wish you wouldn't, but that's your prerogative.

I use an ad blocker but disabled it for this forum. I started a thread about the ad blocker cause I didn't realize how many ads it was blocking on this forum so I suggested anyone else running an ad blocker to disable it on this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor