Introducing Resources... Now What Goes In It?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
As was brought up in the big "Future of..." thread, we need a proper resource library here. So.... Yay, I moved the unused resource manager from oldspower over to here, and now we need to decide what goes into it.

This particular forum section is a start, to be sure. But we need to decide what will go into this library, and how to categorize things in it.

The number one thing we should be after, imo, is fact, not opinion. Reference material, verifiable data, measurements, part numbers, etc.

We also have to steer clear of reproducing copyrighted materials. Unfortunately this means we probably can't post entire shop manuals in here. That would be ideal, but I don't think I want to invite any takedown notices, or other wraths of the internet gods. I don't see a problem with a few pages or diagrams here and there, much like has existed on MalibuRacing for a while without incident, but you know....

So, lets use this thread to figure it out. We need first to decide on categories, probably.

I don't have a problem reproducing or "mirroring" other reference materials out there, much like has been done with stuff like the "oldsfaq" ... I'd have to dig around but there was a G-Body mailing list for a long long time and I don't remember if they had a library of stuff similar to that.

Let's hear what you all have to say and lets get this thing built. Of course its going to evolve and fill with information over time, but we need a starting point...

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

- Yes, although I need to look at doing those natively here and have them be from this century :unsure: instead of 1999.
- Yes, can do that I think no problem.
- Ehhhhh, not looking to put "build threads" per se in the library. Unless there's something specific in that thread I need to extract and put here.

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
- No, it doesn't, which is why I can probably reproduce those here if I can find the formulas used and keep you all here :D Programming and Math and Physics I went to skool four.
- Yep
- Ah, I see. Makes more sense.

Reactions: 3 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I think that this is a great idea.
I'm assuming that you already have a rough outline of how you want to organize this. A sub-thread for different systems, IE: steering, interior, brakes, ect.; and each divided into two, IE: repair schematics, procedures, and diagrams; and new/used/replacement parts vendors/manufacturers.
I'm confident that you will develop a good working model.

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Should mention that I intend to simply link to a lot of the sticky threads in the Howto/Knowledge base forum, but with better titles, descriptions, etc. to improve the search rankings. And properly categorized vs. just all lumped in like it is now.

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
This sounds like Gbodypedia. Do you want us to paste links to items we dredge up, and then you’ll move them to the new section? This is like a crowdsourced curation effort to pull all this together.

Any Suggestions for the bushy-tailed squirrels among us that want to help - how to avoid duplications each other’s efforts?

Want us to sign up for specific threads and walk through them and peel out the key facts?

I’ll try to use the search and posted content features to find the useful 50 of my 2000 posts.

All the stickied bolt and fastener references. Chassis dimensions. Brake swap details....

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor