Introducing Resources... Now What Goes In It?

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Let's say I pull up the "blazer brake swap upgrade" and I need a little bit more info would there be a tab/something that has a list of people who have done it so I could talk to them more directly instead of another 2 page thread of jump ins with no info

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Let's say I pull up the "blazer brake swap upgrade" and I need a little bit more info would there be a tab/something that has a list of people who have done it so I could talk to them more directly instead of another 2 page thread of jump ins with no info

That's another thread that could use having the useful info pulled from all the pages. It would make looking for info much easier.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
This is a great idea.
My suggestion for layout would be to follow the service manual tabs. Like this;

Attachments

• 20200925_201955.jpg
    20200925_201955.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 213
Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Here is a reference for steering gear ratios. There's better ones out there, but we'll start here.

Attachments

• Steering252520Boxes252520and252520Codes-1.jpg
    Steering252520Boxes252520and252520Codes-1.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 215

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
- Yes, although I need to look at doing those natively here and have them be from this century :unsure: instead of 1999.
- Yes, can do that I think no problem.
- Ehhhhh, not looking to put "build threads" per se in the library. Unless there's something specific in that thread I need to extract and put here.

First, let's talk about this century. I owned several G-bodies before this century ever started, and I know for a fact that just about all of the car modifying population knew what size 15" wheels and tires would fit on a G-body...…………………….so that fact that the ridiculous question of "what is the largest tire I can fit on a %%%%%%%" still comes up weekly begs for a resource that was probably available in the last century. Don't discount the last century in this resource file.

My second point is that most of the 'resources' are already here with the 'search' function. Very few use it. The masses want an answer 'right now' to a problem that they don't even have yet. They'll look through a million FB posts to see if they've become more popular, but won't use a 'search' button because they don't want to look through 25 posts to find what they need. And then there's Google search...………..

Third and lastly, I'd like to start an 'Anti-LS Consortium' group. Not a hate group mind you, just a group for anyone who was to see 'abnormal' engine swaps (Caddy, BBO, BBC, any Pontiac, Cummins, Cat, etc.). I'll apply for it in the correct manner very shortly.

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
First, let's talk about this century. I owned several G-bodies before this century ever started, and I know for a fact that just about all of the car modifying population knew what size 15" wheels and tires would fit on a G-body...…………………….so that fact that the ridiculous question of "what is the largest tire I can fit on a %%%%%%%" still comes up weekly begs for a resource that was probably available in the last century. Don't discount the last century in this resource file.

My second point is that most of the 'resources' are already here with the 'search' function. Very few use it. The masses want an answer 'right now' to a problem that they don't even have yet. They'll look through a million FB posts to see if they've become more popular, but won't use a 'search' button because they don't want to look through 25 posts to find what they need. And then there's Google search...………..

Third and lastly, I'd like to start an 'Anti-LS Consortium' group. Not a hate group mind you, just a group for anyone who was to see 'abnormal' engine swaps (Caddy, BBO, BBC, any Pontiac, Cummins, Cat, etc.). I'll apply for it in the correct manner very shortly.

- Talking specifically about those automotive calculator pages. They're literally from like 1999 and if I can re-do them but incorporated into the site then...
- Yes, I don't expect people will stop asking the same questions. This way we can go "check HERE" and hopefully if they do search Google this provides another vector to the site, but a more decisive and definitive one than just another forum thread where there may not be clear factual solution but just a bunch of people's opinions.
- See above
- I approved it. If you hadn't written the description the way you did I wouldn't have. Seems legit.

Don't know how much if any of this I can do today. Good suggestions and comments so far.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
  • Agree

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Here's a stupid idea: since so many newbs don't realize how much cross pollination can occur, how hard would it be to create a specific car search? Drop downs to pick year, make, and model that filter the board to their car only..... not a sermon; just a thought.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
- Talking specifically about those automotive calculator pages. They're literally from like 1999 and if I can re-do them but incorporated into the site then...
- Yes, I don't expect people will stop asking the same questions. This way we can go "check HERE" and hopefully if they do search Google this provides another vector to the site, but a more decisive and definitive one than just another forum thread where there may not be clear factual solution but just a bunch of people's opinions.
- See above
- I approved it. If you hadn't written the description the way you did I wouldn't have. Seems legit.

Don't know how much if any of this I can do today. Good suggestions and comments so far.
Is this one of the things you calculated? This analysis is based on my personal opinion. I was aiming to minimize the amount of conflict with the stock car geometry. Lowering adds conflict. Wider adds conflict. Etc. Green is close to stock and lowest conflict, yellow is pushing it. Red is 'plan for mods' as in spacers, fender lip roll, wheel house or frame mods, etc.

Attachments

• Tire Size Chart.jpg
    Tire Size Chart.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Good luck. Getting someone to do research that doesn't consist of clicking on google, typing in a term of phrase, and then pushing enter is like trying to lemmings to not kill themselves.

The older guys will use it more than the newer members would be my guess.

Not to be pessimistic, but truly, good luck.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor