Introducing the bruised banana

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
I have been a long time lurker of the Gbody forum sourcing information and gathering ideas. Figured it is probably time to join in on the fun and share in the fun. A little about the car, 1979 el camino that I acquired many moons ago for my first car at 14 years old for a father son project. As many of you the car has gone through countless design changes and upgrades. Currently it has a basic gm crate 350 with a comp cam XE268H controlling the fuel is MSD atomic efi (smog legal!) basic jegs headers and 2.5" dual exhaust through flowmasters. Out back I just scored a GN 8.5 with 4.10 gears, need to re-gear or get a different transmission with overdrive.

This car has been very important to me over the years as I share many fond memories working late at night with my dad to make sure it was drivable by morning so I could make it to school, or all the times I shared with friends cruising around trying to pick up girls. But my best memory is the first date I had with my wife taking her to the drive in movie theater and eating Chinese food on my old bench seat. To the most recent memory of spending my bachelor party weekend driving from San Diego to LA to meet with Roadkill and caravan out to tucson dragway for a weekend of racing (best picture of the car below was taken by roadkill on the I-10). I look forward to the new memories I will have with this car as we just found out we are due for our first child in October of this year, will I get to have those same flashlight moments with my child, I can only hope.

Future modifications are up in the air at the moment as I still have to comply with wonderful california smog laws. If this new AB220 bill passes I will be in the market for a new drivetrain with more power.

el camino.jpg
elco3.jpg
elco2.jpg
elco1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
welcome to the forum, love the story behind the car!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Tucson! Usually people are trying to get out of there, not go to it!

Welcome to the site, nice looking ride!

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
bruised banana79, welcome to GBF from Seattle, Wa. I've also got a '79 Elky, along with a '78 Caballero. My first thought was that melloelky will probably give you a thumbs up seeing your elky. His is a beauty about the same shade of yellow as your's. My next thought is that it looks as though you were EB entering the Palm Springs area (unless you were WB on your way home) of I-10 when your friend got the pic. I lived in Banning out there for a few years and drove between LA and Phoenix a lot as a truck driver. Now I live in the Seattle metro area, still driving trucks.

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Welcome, from another 79 Elco owner. I usually don’t care for yellow but yours looks REALLY NICE.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
welcome to the site,nice picture on 110. those dogs mean business..

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor