Is Dex-Cool bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
I had Dex mud in my old 86 c10... about a year later the intake gasket was shot... it was fixed, flushed and refilled with green stuff. I had tried to flush it before when I changed the radiator and water pump, I added green, but a week later it was mud.

I'll never, ever use the stuff.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Tony_SS said:
I had Dex mud in my old 86 c10... about a year later the intake gasket was shot... it was fixed, flushed and refilled with green stuff. I had tried to flush it before when I changed the radiator and water pump, I added green, but a week later it was mud.

I'll never, ever use the stuff.
Did you swap it into that truck? If so the problem was probably it mixing with the old stuff that wasnt fully drained yet. DexCool didnt come in anything that old.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
tc1959 said:
Been using it for twenty years haven't had a problem, See no reason to change now.
I Just do proper maintenance, test it twice a year with the test strips. When it gets weak I change it .
Dex and Intake gaskets, Have always been Intake gasket material problems. ( design ) Not the Coolant .

crash

Master Mechanic
Feb 14, 2010
Sanford, Michigan
Bonnewagon said:
Another good read.http://www.dex-cool.net/ And here's my own experience. I had a '95 LeSabre, 3800, 176,000 miles when I got rid of it. Always had orange (not GM) coolant and never had an intake fail or any other coolant issue, but I was on it. My Daughter had a '94 Firebird, 3.4, erratic coolant history, not well maintained, suffered a blown head gasket. No other damage or fouling noted. My buddy's Mom has a '93 GrandAm, 3.1, erratic coolant history, plastic intake, gasket leaked into motor. Upon replacing, we noted that the intake gasket was replaced prior, and had been damaged upon installation, leading to failure again. Still had the original plastic intake. And finally, when I got my '99 Sunfire, 2.2, same mechanic buddy said they "all blow head gaskets". Going on 80,000 miles and as far as I know, never flushed but always filled to the brim with the orange stuff.

I was going to also link that site in here. I know the author of that page pretty good, been on the PontiacBonnevilleClub.com forum with him now for about five or six years. The guy knows his stuff and I have run into many 3800 vehicles with the dex sludge. From what I understand though, the original Dex-Cool has been reformulated and most of the issues with the older dex issues are now gone. My 2003 Bonneville SSEi had leaking intake gaskets and dex sludge all over in the cooling system, I replaced the gaskets with the updated aluminum framed gaskets as well as flushed the system and filled it with the old school green coolant about 80,000 miles ago. The car has 230,000 miles on it now and still runs perfect with no more dex nastiness in the cooling system.

I also have a 2002 Bonneville SLE with a HORRIBLE case of dex sludge that needs intake gaskets as well as a new upper intake plenum, that will get done in the next month or so.

Right now, if the new formulation of Dex-Cool was cheaper I would buy that, but face it... you just can't go wrong with the old school Prestone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor