is it a gbody or abody

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Technically, it's still an A body from 78-80. It's when the downsizing happened. The platform was renamed "GM G Platform" in 1981, and all the cars got "bigger". Frames are the same, all suspension parts are the same, just outer body panels are different. Very little changed from 81-88 for the G body cars. I do know some small electrical parts like HVAC stuff, interior controls, etc are different. But things like wiring are largely the same, if in different locations.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
By year it is an A-body ('78-'81 production years), for common reference it is a G-body (as GM called '82-'87/'88 production years). Outside of feature specific most electrical parts will interchange

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I believe there was an electrical change around 84 or 85; just do your due diligence before making any rash decisions (usually doesn't follow own advice!).

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

oxide80

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2016
Maine
"A" bodys use standard fasteners, "G" body use metric of I remember correctly.

oldolds

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2017
pine city/rosaila washington
thanks for the information. my 1980 old shop manual showed up. it is amazing what you find when you clean thigs up. i also found a 1984 shop manual (two in a set) if anyone needs them. one of the main difference is 1980 is not computerized, not sure when they switched.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Although technically the A-body was up through 1981, and the G-body started in 1982, they are usually considered A/G bodies or commonly tossed in the entire "G-body" group from 78-88 because of their similarities.

Most of the time you'll see the generation simply referred to as 78-88 Cutlass. SAE and Metrics were a dividing point, but there were still some SAE usage on the 82-88s (mostly engine fasteners).

Notchbacks get more love for some reason. The 78-79 "Buttless Cutlass" was not a favorite of many, although there is a following for them. And that was also the platform for the 442. Could you imagine a buttless Hurst/Olds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor