is it hard to put center console with stock shifter in

Status
Not open for further replies.

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
i would like to put this center console in my 82 regal it in a 85 grand prix. i plan on getting a b&m megashifter but i want to use the stock one for now. has anyone done this before ? what needs to be done ?

normal_PA010174.JPG

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Does your Regal have a Console now or is it a column Shift? I assume you must have bucket seats so you will have room for the console. I am going to assume that you don't have a console or floor shifter currently.

My experience with Center Consoles is with my 70 Camaro so bear with me because the G-Body may be a little different.

1) figure out how to get the plastic shift handle off. They are generally held on with some kind of snap ring or wire clip. It may pop apart allowing access to the snap ring or there may be a slot where you can push out the clip. Maybe someone else on the forum will have more information to add.

2) Genearally the Console is probably screwed to a couple of brackets that mount to the trans tunnel and probably to the bottom of the dash as well. Just start removing things and looking for screws underneath. I would look under the Ashtray and in the bottom of the armrest/storagecompartment. On my Camaro once you unscrew 2 screws in the bottom of the storage compartment, the whole storage compartment lifts out exposing some more screws that fasten the console to the floor brackets.

3) Once you get the console out, before you go through anymore work, I would test fit it to ensure it will fit under your Regal's dash. In the Picture, the console looks tall. You may need to remove your Regals Ash Tray if it is the type that mounts under the Radio. It is just held in with a few screws.

4) There will probably be some brackets that are spot welded to the trans tunnel. Get a spot weld removing bit, or any drill bit big enough to drill out the welds so you can put the brackets in your car. Take some measurements so you know where they go.

5) The shifter is probably held to the floor with 4 screws plus a couple of more around the boot where the cable passes throught the trans tunnel. take measurments of where the shifter mounts and where the cable passes through the floor.

6) Go under the car and disconnect the cable from the trans. Take any brackets go with it. I think there is one that bolts to the trans pan and you will also want the one that the end of the shift cable connects to. I believe that the brackets that connect to the Trans are different when you have a floor shifter so grab everthing.

7) FYI, the cars with Floor shifter still have a linkage running up to the column, This drives your gear indicator and I think your reverse lights.

8) Maker sure if your car is a 3spd that this donor car is a 3spd as well. Things get kind of sloppy if you mix a 3 speed shifter with a 4 speed trans or visa versa. It will work but the gear indicator will be off and you may not be able to get it in all gears.

9) If the Grand Prix is being scrapped, you should remove the inner seat mount brackets from the floor while you are removing the console brackets. If you don't need them, you can probably find someone else on the forum that wants to convert to buckets.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
That's quite a modification somebody made to that GP dash!! Somebody must have gotten a Saws-all for XMas!

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
(he's putting a big screen in there)

:lol:

I was also wondering (not to thread jack, but it's the same idea), when you get just the universal auto floor shifter conversion (ie: Hurst Indy that gives you a boot, shifter, Hurst T handle knob, and linkages) if it's the same set up as installing the factory center console? The reason I was asking is because I don't want to go through the hassle of paying for and installing a set of buckets. That's like 200 I don't want to spend. So I still want to keep my 40/60 bench, then put the shifter in front of the bench, mimicking the classic 60's cars that have the manual shifter infront of the bench (think 60's Nova). Willl the placement work? As long as the hole for where the shifter comes through is infront of the bench, it should work, correct? I always have my bench seat all the way back anyway (and it's still not effin' far enough...lol).

Thanks!!!

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
there was 20 inch lcd there till someone wanted it more than my freind did STOLEN :x i have already took the buckets there in my regal my freind is still holding on to the idea that he will put it back together i wish he woukd just give up i have already taken the seats crossmember radiator transmission with the cooler lines i tried using the hood hinges but they didnt bolt to my hood i was very upset when that happened i have those stupid strut things . i know someone with a 80 malibu with the same centerconsole out of a elcamino with a camaro console b&m megashifter i think i might have him put it in . i was really scared last year shifting on the column i didnt want to slip into reverse when downshifting .
you should remove the inner seat mount brackets from the floor while you are removing the console brackets.
you can do that i was gonna drill a hole through my floor to bolt the seats down . i still have some time to do this because i can not drive yet i was in a accident the day after xmas and still cant fully walk or do i have full movement in my ankle some of my freinds tried to put hand controls in my regal not happening lets all thank public transportation one more time

normal_PC270239.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor