is there a good manual for cutlass restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
im starting a complete frame off tear down and resoration/hotrod build of my 1980 cutlass. i have a little experiecne with this type of stuff, mostly assisting my dad when i was a kid and stuff like that. i was wondering if there is any kind of book or manual regarding frame off restos of the g bodys or cuttys in specific that would be good to pick up. i have been trying to document where everything goes and take pictures and stuff, but im determined to do all this by mself. normally my dad ( who owns a resto shop ) and uncles ( bodymen by trade ) as well as all my friends who are gearheads would be my trusted resource when i get stuck, but since i know live 1200 miles away from all of them im a little nervous about getting it back together myself. i know if i have to i can always rely on the forums but i hate to have to post a question every day on here. so...anyone got any good suggestions on ant reference material that someone in my position could buy to make things a little easier ?? if not, anyone wanna write one :rofl:

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
To my knowledge there is no G-Body assembly manual like there is for so many other cars. I'm trying to get one started using the parts manual diagrams until I can get to the archives at GM for the real PAD documents. In the interim, here's my best recommendation:

Take lots of Photos. Digital photos are free until you print them, take more than you'll need and print the ones you end up needing. Take photos of every piece you take off the car, if it's complex, print the photo and write specific notes on the back of the page. Review the photos after you take them, make sure they’re not blurry or out of focus, if they are, they're probably worthless. Buy a big fat three ring binder and a punch for the photos you print so you can put the photos and other information in one central location. You can even buy some tabs if you wish to be really organized.

Bag the hardware by specific components. Get the good bags and don't just throw all the door hardware in a bag. Separate the window regulator bolts from the door panel screws and etc. Write a good description of the parts on the bag before you put the parts in it. This way you'll be able to read the description instead of having to cipher your chicken scratch. You could even fold up a printed photo in the bag along with the parts. Zip Lok bags are inexpensive and well worth the investment.

Have your local Chevy dealer print off the Component view (exploded view when talking F__d) of the area you're working on. Yes, I realize it's a Cutlass, but there isn't any Olds dealers left and all GM dealers use the same Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC). This view will show you general locations of parts. If they print off the nomenclature sheet, you'll know what the parts are called and if they're still available. You could buy a Parts Illustration Manual on eBay but they're getting pricey. I don't have any of the JPEG versions with me so I couldn't post an example for you.

Scan and or save everything you find on the internet or are provided in a digital file for your car. Make sure you back it up once a week and/or after you add files to one, you should always make sure both files are the same.

Buy a cheap parts car if you have the room and the resources. Don't take it apart until you need something off of it. Doesn't have to be the same make or model, as long as it's a G-Body. Malibu, Monte, Regal, Cutlass, Grand Prix, Bonneville, Lemans Wagon and Century Wagon.

Hope this helps. ...

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
yeah, you should definitely write one, im sure it would be a big seller. im sure alot of guys are in my position. not a pro mechanic or bodyman but enough experience to be willing to try it yourself. and like me, its gonna be some time between disassembly and assembly due to money, time and other obligations which leaves you with a rusty memory regarding how it all goes back together. i have been taking pics, trying to put all the bolts back on the holes they came out of whenever possible, stuff like that. but i know when i do go to put it back together some of it is gonna be a friggin nightmare. i dont understand why there isnt more aftermarket support out there for these cars as popular as they are. if you look around you can usually find what you need, but they should just have a 1 stop shop for an entire restoration like so many other makes and models do. i cant seriously believe more people are restoring old GTO's and chevelles than are doing 80's cutty's, montes, regals, bu's and the rest of the G-family. i guess right now the best source of info. is sites like this and a few others out there and helpful members. right now im trying to document as much as possible with my 80 cutty but at the rate things are moving its going to be 2 yrs before i get it back together if im lucky. its going to be a complete frame off build. some resto some custom.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
First thing you need to do is buy a factory CSM (chassis service manual) for your year car. It will tell you everything you need to know on how the different components go together and how each system works.
Something else that is helpful is the parts catalog for your car. It's separate from the CSM but basically lists all the part numbers on the vehicle (which have likely changed since these were printed) as well as all bolt/nut sizes and dimensions.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
You'll likely need to search Ebay.

These manuals aren't in production anymore. They were the manuals you could order from GM back in the day when the vehicle was new. If you look in the back of the Owner's Manual it will have them listed and their price (back then).

I bought my '87 CSM for around $30 off Ebay years ago.

*edit* Just did a search on Ebay for "1980 Cutlass Service Manual" and came up with 24 hits.

As far as the other book, it's called a "Parts & Illustration Manual". Those appear to be a bit harder to find and I'm not sure if they go all the way back to 1980.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I own every CSM, Electrical Troubleshooting, Owners Manual and 76-81 and 82-88 Parts Book and Diagram books for Oldsmobile A,X,B,G and H body.
If you need a specific area or have a specific question I can help but as far as scanning your better off forkin out the $10-30 for a CSM or ET manual or $65-$130 for the parts/diagrams manuals.
I tried scanning the 83 manual, got halfway and said screw it. Too much time and paper involved when you can buy one for cheap.
Well worth every penny IMO.

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
im sure those will come in handy when i go to put mine back together. i just hope thats going to be this year. mine keeps getting worse and worse. if you have seen my thread lately youll see i went from a quick paint, drivelive and new rims to a total frameoff , due to some extra rust damage i found. im going to try to get these ordered this month, if i can get my kids to quit bleeding me dry for every extra dollar i get :mrgreen: . im starting to feel like al bundy, just come home, pull out my money and hand it out to them.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
lesbaldridge said:
i just hope thats going to be this year. mine keeps getting worse and worse. if you have seen my thread lately youll see i went from a quick paint, drivelive and new rims to a total frameoff , due to some extra rust damage i found.

Welcome to the club. Mine went to my friends place for a little rust repair and a quick paint job....9 years later it's still in a full frame off restomod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor