Is there a NON-offset cross shaft available for the upper control arms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsparks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2009
Columbia MO
Hey all,

I've got the front end of my '78 all torn apart. I got the control arms back from the sandblaster today! Just about ready to start going back together.

I have a urethane front bushing kit. I figured I should replace my upper control arm cross shafts while I install the new bushings. But I can't seem to find a new cross shaft that is not the alignment-correcting offset type.

My car had a reasonable number of shims when I disassembled it...I don't think I NEED the offset shafts.

Does anyone know of a source for the original style shafts?

The thing is...I work for an AC Delco distributor and even the Delco ones we have available are the offset type. (I can get MOOGs in offset also).

If they just aren't available, I suppose I can go ahead and use the offset type and either very few shims or an inch-long stack of them...which seems silly.

Thanks for reading!

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Dorman upper control arms are $56 and include a new ball joint and Cross shaft, so someone has to make new ones

Try P/N Dorman 520-192

clemsparks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2009
Columbia MO
Maybe some NOS ones if you can find them. If your originals are in good shape, reuse them.

Yeah, I originally thought I'd just reuse my originals...until I disassembled them. They're rough enough I'd prefer to get some new ones. I might use them if I they look ok. But the rusted-on sleeve on one of them makes me doubt it.

Dorman upper control arms are $56 and include a new ball joint and Cross shaft, so someone has to make new ones

Try P/N Dorman 520-192

Thanks for the Dorman info. I'll look into those a bit.

clemsparks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2009
Columbia MO

Try P/N Dorman 520-192

Judging by the photos this Dorman 520-192 is exactly what I'm looking for. If I order some and confirm, I'll post back so others can know about it. Thanks for posting!

clemsparks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2009
Columbia MO
dont want to run tubular uppers?
just search metric on speedways site

Well, it seems like overkill for this project (though, the price is right) which will be a street-only occasional driver. I've already purchased urethane bushings for the front end. Steel bushings might not have the same longevity...but in the long run that's what I might end up with.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Judging by the photos this Dorman 520-192 is exactly what I'm looking for. If I order some and confirm, I'll post back so others can know about it. Thanks for posting!
I bought the Dorman uppers for my Regal and they look good and fit well.
Myself I couldn't justify rebuilding my very rusty originals so for the price I couldn't beat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor