Is there anybody else who makes replica bumper fillers for the Malibu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
if you looked on the first page of this of this topic there's a link..........

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think I'd opt for the fiberglass fillers rather than the OEM urethane type. The urethane fillers never seem to want to hold paint too well.

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I think I'd opt for the fiberglass fillers rather than the OEM urethane type. The urethane fillers never seem to want to hold paint too well.

Odd, we paint literally a thousand or more urethane bumper covers/caps/flares every year, only time we have issues is if it's been hit, or is a reman with sketchy primer on it.

Like anything, prep and proper materials is key. Just hosing paint on 'em isn't going to get it.

I do wonder how easily the fiberglas versions install, sometimes getting the OE ones in is a little tricky

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Odd, we paint literally a thousand or more urethane bumper covers/caps/flares every year, only time we have issues is if it's been hit, or is a reman with sketchy primer on it.

Like anything, prep and proper materials is key. Just hosing paint on 'em isn't going to get it.

I do wonder how easily the fiberglas versions install, sometimes getting the OE ones in is a little tricky
Brian,
Like you said, it's all in the prep. I also recall using a flex additive.

Btw, what's the best method to properly strip urethane fillers, bumper covers, etc?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've heard soda blasting.
Thank you, I like the idea of soda blasting them. Somehow I think aircraft stripper would be way too harsh.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
sem and kleen strip make a mild(er) aerosol stripper for bumper covers,i've used the sem version it's ok.they're not as hardcore as the aircraft version we're used to with the steel.

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Jack, like melloelky said, we sometimes use the aerosol stripper for small pieces. Larger pieces (like, say a bumper cover with stress cracking. spider-webbing) usually get DA'd with 220. We seldom strip an entire bumper, it's just not cost effective, and in most cases, not really required or desirable. OE finish that is well adhered is a suitable base for refinishing.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Gfast79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 20, 2019
if you looked on the first page of this of this topic there's a link..........
I’m having trouble navigating this site can’t figure how to get back to the first page , I’m a newbie lol I’m thinking about fiberglass bumpers so the fiberglass ones might work as well , who makes those ? Same people ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor