Is this a good trans to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk83man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2017
IMG_0207.PNG
IMG_0206.PNG
Thinking about buying this trans I don't know if it will work with my 5.3 will it bolt up to LS.5.3

Last edited:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looks like a 200-4R OG code from an '83 442, H/O.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ok cool. I don't know much about this trans That's what that blue tag is / so will it bolt up to a 5.3 ls motor
I'm thinking the trans will bolt up. Someone else will have to interject here.
Looks like a good score. It has the better governor and valve body in it like the Monte SS, or GN/ T-Type trans.
Was this out of a running, driving car?

Hawk83man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2017
I'm thinking the trans will bolt up. Someone else will have to interject here.
Looks like a good score. It has the better governor and valve body in it like the Monte SS, or GN/ T-Type trans.
Was this out of a running, driving car?
Yes It was out a running car It's still on the 307 motor thanks for the feedback/ good some body knows about this trans.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
  • Informative

stuckincincy

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2011
Greater Cincinnati area
You'll need to space the flywheel 0.40 inches back using a crank spacer or a special flywheel. I they did a segment on this recently on "Detroit Muscle" on Spike TV. The biggest problem will be connecting the TV cable. I you don't have the geometry exact you will burn up the trans. TCI makes a constant pressure valve body that is supposed to prevent it if you don't have it right, but they run around $300 or so. You can't use a drive by wire throttle body, you will have to use a cable driven one. I believe there are a couple of companies that make the mounting brackets and bell crank adapter. (Lokar, Bowtie Overdrives)

• Winner
  • Dislike

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
That's not a performance trans, it came out of a regular cutlass. 83-84 Hurst Olds had OZ and 85 442 had OZ performance trans. WOT shift points on that OG trans shifts out of first gear about 3800 rpm. It can be built to shift like an OZ.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Hawk83man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2017
You'll need to space the flywheel 0.40 inches back using a crank spacer or a special flywheel. I they did a segment on this recently on "Detroit Muscle" on Spike TV. The biggest problem will be connecting the TV cable. I you don't have the geometry exact you will burn up the trans. TCI makes a constant pressure valve body that is supposed to prevent it if you don't have it right, but they run around $300 or so. You can't use a drive by wire throttle body, you will have to use a cable driven one. I believe there are a couple of companies that make the mounting brackets and bell crank adapter. (Lokar, Bowtie Overdrives)
Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor