Is This A Scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
So I've had a car of mine (a '98 BMW) for sale for a while, and I had some people text me last night to arrange to look at it. I met with them in person today, and they made an offer. I told them I needed to sit on it, and I made them a counter-offer a few hours later and they agreed on it. They asked if they could pay with a certified check as they bank online and do not have a physical bank branch anywhere close (I verified this), and they would either have to get the money from ATM withdrawals which are limited to $500 a day (would take over a week), or drive a few hundred miles to the closest bank. I agreed to accept a certified check. I am planning on calling the bank and verifying the account and funds before I go through with the title transfer. Everything seems legit, but Is this a scam?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
So I've had a car of mine (a '98 BMW) for sale for a while, and I had some people text me last night to arrange to look at it. I met with them in person today, and they made an offer. I told them I needed to sit on it, and I made them a counter-offer a few hours later and they agreed on it. They asked if they could pay with a certified check as they bank online and do not have a physical bank branch anywhere close (I verified this), and they would either have to get the money from ATM withdrawals which are limited to $500 a day (would take over a week), or drive a few hundred miles to the closest bank. I agreed to accept a certified check. I am planning on calling the bank and verifying the account and funds before I go through with the title transfer. Everything seems legit, but Is this a scam?
Could be sketchy....definitely verify with the bank to cover your *ss man. Majority of the time you have to go to the bank anyway to get a certified check....they will type it out right there to the receiver, amount, etc. I don't believe a bank will issue a blank certified check as they verify the funds are there before issuing it..I'm sure others will chime in.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
they said they had to order the check tomorrow. It wont be blank before they get it. Nothing else seemed out of place. They had a local phone number, and an in-state license plate, I met with them in person, and they were not foreign.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Not saying these people are trying to scam you, but if they have the cash in the bank, it's 2016, they can wire the amount straight to your account.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think I would have been willing to wait over a week for cash and take a $500 deposit to hold it.
Every scammer I have dealt with wants to pay with a certified check and I myself have never looked at a car or part without having at least a deposit in cash on me.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor