Is this harmonic balancer cover with timing marks fitted correctly on my 305 8" balancer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Anybody familiar with these ?

No mark on this cover lines up with the timing mark on the balancer...
Screenshot_20220209-060659_Photos.jpg

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
if its a old stock balancer it could have slipped over the years, i would check against a stock replacement or just buy one with the marks on it already

Reactions: 1 user

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
a stock harmonic balancer has 3 parts : 1outer ring the, 2 rubber material between the inner hub and outer ring (dampening material) , 3 inner hub. the rubber can deteriorate over time causing the outer ring to slip thus moving the timing mark

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Slipped ? ... Can you elaborate so I can research this slippage of a harmonic balancer ?

a stock harmonic balancer has 3 parts : 1outer ring the, 2 rubber material between the inner hub and outer ring (dampening material) , 3 inner hub. the rubber can deteriorate over time causing the outer ring to slip thus moving the timing mark
I see what you mean ...

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Ok, here is a picture of the rubber lining on my harmonic balancer...
20220202_145005.jpg
20220202_145021.jpg
20220202_145242.jpg

Visually seems ok, but when I had it installed and was using a timing light to check the timing, the marker would jump back a couple to a few degrees counter clockwise, and every time I shut off the engine the timing would be in a different place almost every time I started the engine back up...

Here are a couple of videos I shot of it so you can see what I'm talking about...

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
i cant tell by looking at it if its good or bad, easy route to go is bring it to a auto parts store and check it against a new one
Understood...

Let me ask you this...

On all SBC harmonic balancers, the timing groove always lines up with the harmonic balancer keyway ?

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Going to throw this out there as a method of checking for a slipped balancer.
The keyway on a small block Chevy crank is in line with the #1 crank throw journal. That being said, I was instructed to rotate the engine until the keyway is 45 degrees from crank center toward cylinder #1. That will put cylinder 1 at TDC. Install your balancer if removed and check to see where your mark in the balancer lines up to the timing pointer. Should be at zero or extremely close. If not you have the wrong balancer for the timming tab used or the outer ring may have slipped.
Just my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor