Is this harmonic balancer cover with timing marks fitted correctly on my 305 8" balancer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Anybody familiar with these ?

No mark on this cover lines up with the timing mark on the balancer...
Screenshot_20220209-060659_Photos.jpg

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
That is the correct tap. Here is the problem threads should be repaired if they can be with a thread chaser it does not cut any metal just tries to realign the threads. Never seen a thread chaser that is long enough to do this so a tap is needed. If the threads are bad enough the tap will cut out the damage and might make the threads weak or even non existent.

Perhaps 64nailhead is correct and the deeper threads are still good.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
That is the correct tap. Here is the problem threads should be repaired if they can be with a thread chaser it does not cut any metal just tries to realign the threads. Never seen a thread chaser that is long enough to do this so a tap is needed. If the threads are bad enough the tap will cut out the damage and might make the threads weak or even non existent.

Perhaps 64nailhead is correct and the deeper threads are still good.
Well maybe the threads don't need tapped... I just installed the harmonic balance bolt and given the depth it went in, I need to consider the balancer, the bolt washer, and the crankshaft pully being attached and it should all tighten down...
Screenshot_20220212-115403_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Well maybe the threads don't need tapped... I just installed the harmonic balance bolt and given the depth it went in, I need to consider the balancer, the bolt washer, and the crankshaft pully being attached and it should all tighten down...
Also at TDC, the harmonic balancer points at 12 o'clock... That is the official timing position for my engine.
20220212_114833.jpg

• Happy
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor