Is this quote too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
If you can't install a 'bolt-on' kit from Summit or Jegs, find out what other local places would charge to compare the estimates. Make your decision on the best estimate/s & then check out the quality of the shop/work that provided the estimates.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
1. Not mandrel bent. TheStretch bend
2. Aluminized lead pipes, the rest is stainless steel
3. 1-year warranty
4. G-force performance crossmember. Not sure on the warranty but made in USA.

Also, this is without cats.
Seems too high to me. I'd look elsewhere.

If you get the earlier version of the crossmember direct from G Force it's a 235 part plus shipping/tax. They have a "next gen" version for 335, but I doubt a shop that isn't mandrel bending is giving you the best version on the x member.

When dealing with a non mandrel bend pipe, you've got a bottle neck at each twist and turn. Your exhaust only flows as well as its narrowest points. My guess is a non mandrel bent 2 1/4" would actually flow somewhere around a 1 7/8" exhaust due to restrictions and diameter loss in the bends.

Mandrel bends are said to add 3-5% to your hp alone as well.

For that price... just not worth it.

If you've got the time and ability I'd swap the trans crossmember yourself, and find a shop that mandrel bends pipe. I can't imagine someone charging you $950 just for that if you covered the crossmember on your own.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
If you can’t install it yourself, how about buying what you want. Then get a shop to install it all. As said Summit and Jegs have all you’d need. I added 2 MagnaFlow cats to my system.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I think that's a reasonable price if the work is good and they stand behind it. Part of the price is the warranty.

Be advised, you could do this a bunch cheaper yourself, but I understand that everyone can't do everything themselves. These guys claiming this is crazy high, or whatever, haven't had to stand behind work from a shop with workman's comp, liability insurance, property and employee taxes, etc. Of course a back yard guy can do it cheaper, but he doesn't give you any warranty, or liability coverage if the tree falls on your car while it's on his property, or the drunk neighbor scratches it during a MadDog 2020 tirade. Quality, warranty and reliability cost money. I had a customer approve $48K estimate today, and ordered an engine for a $31K estimate yesterday. And FYI - our profit margin isn't anywhere near 20% of those estimates.

With that in mind, I do everything myself, other than deep trasnmission repairs (but I'm ready to dive into that as well), and I can explain how to save a buck at almost every step of a street/strip combo - no trn key stuff in my driveway. But I enjoy working on the cars.

Food for thought - if you can afford it then get it done and enjoy the car. How about a pic or two?

smartin3

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2020
Michigan
I think that's a reasonable price if the work is good and they stand behind it. Part of the price is the warranty.

Be advised, you could do this a bunch cheaper yourself, but I understand that everyone can't do everything themselves. These guys claiming this is crazy high, or whatever, haven't had to stand behind work from a shop with workman's comp, liability insurance, property and employee taxes, etc. Of course a back yard guy can do it cheaper, but he doesn't give you any warranty, or liability coverage if the tree falls on your car while it's on his property, or the drunk neighbor scratches it during a MadDog 2020 tirade. Quality, warranty and reliability cost money. I had a customer approve $48K estimate today, and ordered an engine for a $31K estimate yesterday. And FYI - our profit margin isn't anywhere near 20% of those estimates.

With that in mind, I do everything myself, other than deep trasnmission repairs (but I'm ready to dive into that as well), and I can explain how to save a buck at almost every step of a street/strip combo - no trn key stuff in my driveway. But I enjoy working on the cars.

Food for thought - if you can afford it then get it done and enjoy the car. How about a pic or two?

E5E716F5-61C1-4161-BF89-F7ED52C00A88.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
What is the point of a 1 year warranty on exhaust?

Problems with workmanship should be evident at delivery. What exactly are they warranting?

Have you seen how badly most shops restrict the pipe at the "U" bend over the axle on their bent-at-the=shop pipes? If ever there is a place for mandrel bends, that'd be the first one.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Any plans on upgrading the engine later on for one that makes power? If so I would hold off on getting a 2.25" exhaust system.

• Agree

smartin3

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2020
Michigan
Any plans on upgrading the engine later on for one that makes power? If so I would hold off on getting a 2.25" exhaust system.
Yes, the shop I went to today actually said the same thing. I have a leak in the exhaust now so thought why not get duals, but I’ll just repair the leak for now and upgrade the exhaust once I swap the engine. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor