Is Underhood Insulation Necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.Wagner

Apprentice
Jan 23, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I have been finding mixed opinions regarding underhood insulation. Is it necessary or can I do without it? The paint on the top of my hood looks like it is thinning a little but I really hate how dirty the insulation gets and how it leaves grime all over my engine.

Thanks for the help!

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Mine hasn't had any underhood insulation for over 20 years,seems to be OK without it.
Guy

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
X6...however, I had been considering using a dense foam..

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
If you remove it there will be more noise. That is about it. All of the better cars I had came with it and the cheaper ones did not. Other than sound deadening I do not think it really does much.

dr..mach

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2015
Correct, sound deadening is all it is there for. Feel free to remove, save it however.

T.Wagner

Apprentice
Jan 23, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for all help. I am going to remove it and see how I like it. I don't think I will mind the extra noise. I really want to clean up the engine nice for car shows but the insulation is filthy and drops dirt everywhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor