Issue with very quick shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

85Cutty442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2016
hello all
I have 85 442
Trans was done, TransGo shift kit, Super Servo, TCI breakaway Converter, sits behind an olds 355 and 4.10's in the rear on a 255/60/15 tires.

Here's my issue

The trans shifted okay at first, not as great as my GN with a CPT HiTech shift kit, but ok.

Well one day it didn't wanna shift at all until very very late, took it back to the trans shop, they pulled the pan with me there, pulled the valve body looking for something wrong, couldn't find anything.
Pulled the governor and says to me the spring is out, not in the pan, who knows what happened to it, I almost felt like he was pointing the finger at me about it, but that's not important.

Anyway, he grabs a spring from his junk chore, from what he said looked like a V6 governor spring and threw it in there.

Well it shifts now, but 1st to 2nd gear is 10 mph
2nd to 3rd 18-20 mph
Od shifts around 35 or so mph

Now I can't help to think the spring he used is no where near right.

I found TCI makes a spring for the governor for the GN trans.

So I'm asking, could I use this spring?
Is the 442 spring my only choice?
If so, where could I acquire one?
Because I changed the rear end ratio, does the governor need to be modified in any way?
I ended up purchasing the same shift kit I have for my GN, although not here yet,
Would this help fix my problem?

I really appreciate any and all help about this.

I rarely drive the car because of this issue, it's fine if you manually shift, I'd like to get this right, to enjoy it, and if I needed to sell her, it would be right for the next buyer.

Thank you again

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Try the GN spring. I added a screw lock tighted in place to keep the spring from jumping out. The screw will make the trans shift slightly earlier due to the extra weight over stock but keep the spring in place.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
4.10s with those tires are turning some rpm quickly.
Did they try playing with the TV cable's adjustment to alter the shift points?

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
They had me hold it wide open, and made sure it was tight.
That was it

They need to actually play with the adjustment of the cable to find a nice shift point. I did it on my old '87 MCSS by myself.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I'm assuming you adjusted your TV cable. I had trouble with it in the past. Very late shifts at light throttle, very early shifts at full throttle. If memory serves, to adjust it you just push the cable adjuster in and then open to wide open throttle. You'll hear clicks as the throttle bracket pulls the TV cable to the correct length.

But I'm assuming you already knew about that, and if it's shifting early at every throttle position then I'd guess it's your governor.

85Cutty442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2016
I'm assuming you adjusted your TV cable. I had trouble with it in the past. Very late shifts at light throttle, very early shifts at full throttle. If memory serves, to adjust it you just push the cable adjuster in and then open to wide open throttle. You'll hear clicks as the throttle bracket pulls the TV cable to the correct length.

But I'm assuming you already knew about that, and if it's shifting early at every throttle position then I'd guess it's your governor.
I'm thinking because he used some random spring for my governor
That has to be the issue,
I think I'm goin to order the GN spring along with the different shift kit, and see how that goes.

I'm also thinking of just dropping it off to Janice Transmissions and have him fix the problem.

Local transmission shops don't seem to get it...

A road trip may be in my future

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Try adjusting the cable one more time (since it's easy) just to rule it out.
I can't find my old thread on it, but I do have a print-out from it and reads as follows:

1. Engine off. Locate "adjust tab" on cable housing. Press in tab and push in slider.
2. Release tab and then rotate throttle to WOT. Cable will self-adjust with audible clicks. Release throttle and check for any binding or sticking.
3. Road test vehicle

Apologies if you already know the process. But if you're sure that at least is down-pat then you can let the shop know when you go.
Also I see you've swapped engines. Another factor for shift points would be cable geometry. Dunno if you're using a Q-jet, Edelbrock, or Holley, but for Holley at least you need to add a TV cable geometry corrector to the Holley throttle bracket. Have you covered that base already?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor