Issues installing THUMPR cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilSpann601

Greasemonkey
Aug 11, 2008
Jackson Mississippi
I am currently in the process of buidling a sbc 400 and I ordered a Comp Cams Big Mutha Thumpr cam .486 ...The cam installs smoothly but when I rotate the engine I can tell the cam is binding on something and it locks the rotating assembly. I put the crankshaft sprocket dot at the 12 o clock position and the cam sprocket dot at 6 o clock....i put cylinder 1 at tdc which places the dot at 12 o clock position i also notice that cylinder 6 is at the top too...does this sound like i have the cam timing incorrect???

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
Ok dumb ? Here. Are the heads installed or not? Just making sure you aren't fighting compression. Anyways #1 and #6 will be up at the same time one is on compression stroke the other on exhaust stroke.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Do the easy first, remove the timing chain and turn each seperate. That will narrow down if its the crank or the cam..

79malibubbctt

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2011
cb, ia
If the heads are still on did you check to see if you had proper valve to piston clearence. If the cam is to big the valves can be hitting the top of the pistons. Otherwise put it on tdc with the chain off and spin the cam to see if its hitting.

LilSpann601

Greasemonkey
Aug 11, 2008
Jackson Mississippi
The rods I used are 5.7 Pro Comp I Beam Rods...The heads are not installed. The cam will spin freely if I leave the crankshaft at one position. But soon as I connect the timing chain to the cam and crank and give the engine a turn or two..The cam binds up somewhere. Im going to remove everything and give it a closer look

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
hurst1979olds said:
Are you using stock rods? Your rod bolts might be hitting the cam. Rod 2 and 6 are the most common on a 383 Stroker.

x2! Even though they aren't stock rods and it's a 400 it's still the same issue.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
LilSpann601 said:
The rods I used are 5.7 Pro Comp I Beam Rods...The heads are not installed. The cam will spin freely if I leave the crankshaft at one position. But soon as I connect the timing chain to the cam and crank and give the engine a turn or two..The cam binds up somewhere. Im going to remove everything and give it a closer look
Definetally sounds like the cam cam is hitting. You just need to clearance the 2 and 6 rod bolts. You will be able to see which ones are hitting when the engine is upside down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor