It is a '78-'79 200 engine harness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Going over the nice uncut engine harness today to start preping it to go on the engine to see if it'll work for the break in I discovered something odd, it's not the 229 harness I thought it was. I'm thinking it's for a 231 after checking some of the wire colors in my shop books. The oil pressure light/choke switch plug wires are light blue/tan/brown-white stripe instead of light blue/green-white stripe/brown (my '81 book shows this being for the 231 & the 301). It also was the gauge switch plug right with it. I started to even get rough measurements of how long the wires were & compaired to the salvage '86 305 harness & nothing matched or come close in lenth. My hacked original matched the '86 harness better. I am thinking about redoing the "231" harness to fit but it might be better to save it for someone else to use who could/would need a new one. Then my original could be salvaged & rebuilt but not being able to find the wide type 59 male blade makes it a challange to redo the one #2 circuit wire or the HEI wire if it would need to replaced. Thought about using the '86 harness for parts since I do have the narrower type 56 male blades but there are a few ends cut & the oil/choke switch plug has four wires (a extra brown that plugs into the computer harness.) For rebuilding a harness wouldn't be that bad for me but not having the right wire ends or the type 59 male ends do add to the challange. I'll take any input on this & might be searchig for another SBC with gauges harness for the earlier cars to just get it done.

Reactions: 1 user

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
Wish you luck on the sbc wire harness. If go that direction and get a new one, I'd be interested in your 231 harness .

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So far no luck finding a harness on line. OPGI list a new M&H repop for $268.99 but is a "arriving soon" item, M&H catalogs it for $299 but their catalog is dated 2016. Fleabay has nothing at all. Trying to think of which junk yard that might have some good cores but the odds on them not being not really hacked to hell is slim. Supose to be a fall Big Butler Parts-A-Rama this weekend so might have some luck. If not I'll have to see who has a SBC with gauges harness (might even try a 200/229 harness.)

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I have had my weekend plans changed for me so I'm going to be asking to see who has a SBC harness out there to see whats out there. It'll have to be for gauges & electric choke but I don't think there was a SBC with out a electric choke for the fouth generation A/G. So let me know what there is out there. I did dig out a so-so condition single wire oil pressure pig tail out of the spare/scrap stuff to see if I could salvage the plug boot & had some success so I have an option there to use it (or a better one) to replace that one circuit. Next will be digging out a three wire pig tail for the other oil pressure switch. If it works on that one I might just be looking for salvage harness' to rebuild my original. Like I said before I really don't want to hack a good harness someone else could use. The last challange (& reason why I would need another harness) would be to track down some wider type 59 male blade terminals.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So now it looks like I can rule out it being for a 231 with gauges as it's missing the choke heater module & it's additional connectors. Then while being at some manditory family fun I tore into my wiring manuals to find this out. I looked up in my '80 & '81 books to see what was what & noticed that the Camaro engine harness uses the same circuit set up in the bulkhead connector as the A's ('80 & '81 F cars use the ATO fuse blocks unlike the '79 & older.) So I was looking into that to see if it was a F body harness, possible Firebird as they did have oil pressure gauges unlike the Camaro but unlikely. Then I pull it out again to look it over after looking at the harness routing for what plugs where & saw the odd terminal end actually went into the alternator plug & matched up to the Chevy V6 routing. So it could be for the original belief it was a Chevy harness but back to circuit 931choke light. In the '79-'81 books it is dark green/white stripe but this harness has a tan wire instead which I'm wondering if the '78 cars had that color. As for the other wires the choke is light blue, the gauge sender is tan, the choke power feed is brown like in the books. Now I'll need the '78 owners the let me know what color wires are on the choke/oil light switch. From here I'll deside the fate of this harness as stated above I don't want to cut a good harness someone else needs/could use.
Here some pics of it.

Attachments

• DSCN3994.JPG
    DSCN3994.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 174
  • DSCN3995.JPG
    DSCN3995.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 171
  • DSCN3996.JPG
    DSCN3996.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 182
  • DSCN3997.JPG
    DSCN3997.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 159
  • DSCN4002.JPG
    DSCN4002.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 154
  • DSCN4005.JPG
    DSCN4005.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 171

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Now I now know it is a harness for the 200 V6. I forgot I had the '79 trouble shooting manual out in the garage & dove into it to see what it said. It stated that only the V6's had electric chokes as the V8's did not as shown in the '79 wiring diagram book but with the 200 had a different color/curcuit number for the wire to the choke light. For the 200 it is tan/31 like the non gauge cars, the 231 it is the green-white stripe/931 like listed for the original 229 for my '81.
1979 V6 gauge choke light.jpg

Since I don't think there are any hard core 200 V6 guys who have to have a perfect gauge harness for their engine (are there even any 200's left that run?) I'm going to get what I need to clean it up & redo the power circuits, shorten the starter circuit, replace anything that needs it.

Reactions: 1 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Did they put the 200 in a B-body? Might find one of those guys ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor