It's not normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
I'm new to this forum, and I don't have a G-body vehicle (yet). But, I used to have an 80 Olds Cutlass Supreme. My question- is it normal to want a car that is over 30 years old? It's not normal is it? And, yet I do. Can anyone explain the logic behind this feeling I have? I don't need a 33 year old car. There are 1/2 dozen things that I should spend the money on (new home windows, new daily driver, new storm door, etc.). But, this bug has hit me that can't be pried from my head. It does not make common sense, and yet I want one. I'm not saying it's crazy. Many people buy boats, cars, jewelry, and other things they don't need. But, this feeling is new to me. So, I wanted to get other opinions of why someone does this? Maybe nobody can explain it. I don't need a thirty year old vehicle, yet I still want one with every fiber of my being? Give me your story. What made you buy a G-body car that you don't really NEED? Any advice would help. This bug that bit me- is it normal after all? Thanks for listening.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I suck at golf so this is what I do.

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: 6 users

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Hey man, we all need a hobby, something to loose our selfs in so we can disconnect from the rest of the world. An older car is a great way to do that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you think anyone of us will try to talk some sense into you, you are delusional enough to fit right into this forum...:p

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 14 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Poor guy you've contracted the CAR GUY ADDICTION,and there is NO 12 step program to help you. You've already joined this group of addicts. We ALL fully understand your dilemma because we're the same way. If you were an active alcy,druggy, or gambler think of the money you'd be wasting. Atleast this is a constructive addiction that'll keep you out of trouble. Find the car you want and enjoy yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
My 30 (37, actually) year old car IS my daily driver. If we all went through life with only the things we NEED, it would be pretty boring.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 9 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Well, for me I bought my '87 Cutlass when I was 17. It was my first car. I could've found something different, but my parents neighbor's owned it for several years and the first time I saw it I knew I WANTED it! I NEEDED a car to get to work and college, and something about that jet black Cutlass with black rallye wheels and tan interior just sucked me in!
I paid $1400 for it in 2001, and it all went downhill from there :sneaky:!!!! I was officially bitten by the bug, and two years later I was dropping a healthy 355sbc into it!
I've now owned it going on 17 years, have dumped WAY more $$$ into it than I could likely get out of it(not that I ever intend on selling it), but working on it eases the stress of everyday life, well sometimes lol!

James, what you're feeling isn't normal, but none of us gearheads are normal anyways! You NEED to get back into the seat of a G body, and you will feel so much better!
Good luck on the hunt, and if/when you get one make sure you post some pics!

Scott

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
As long as you’re going into it knowing you’re going to spend a ton of time and money on it, and your family and/or S.O. are OK and understanding about that, you’ll be fine.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I got smart, I picked up my 37 year old car when it was 9 :D. I couldn't afford (parents wouldn't pay) for my wanted 32 year old car ('58 Chevy) back then (n). I still wonder if cocaine would of been a cheaper hobby, either way I would of still seem to have powder on my face. :rofl:

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I lucked out in that mine never left the family. Funny, I've already spent around $2,000 for my "free" car, and I've barely turned a wrench on it yet! LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor