Its official - first non-sports car Mustang

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Remember that ugly as sin "mustang-inspired" electric "suv" they were touting?

It's not, "inspired", it is full-on going to carry the name plate. It's officially the Ford Mustang Mach E.

What's your thoughts on this? Initially I said to myself, meh, no big deal. I'm sure they'll laugh off and toss from any MCA events anyone dumb enough to show up with one. I said, hey, they built 4 dr and wagon variants of most g bodies.

But then I thought about it more. These new "suv" creations will not share architecture or even much of any parts with the traditional mustang.

Worse yet, as these things suck, get bad press, and get recalls what the public will see is 125,000 ford mustangs recalled... not some completely unrelated product. Resale likely tanks, and the brand, such as it is, suffers to the detriment of traditional pony car owners.

Think of having the chevrolet corvette volt hatch. Insert puke noise here.

You don't have to like the mustang itself to wonder WTF and think this was a horrible idea. Oh well. Just means I know I won't be buying a new mustang anytime soon

• Indifferent
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Meh. If you're dumb enough to buy one, have at it! That being said, what demographic are they even targeting? Most polls put millennials in the "never going to drive/can't afford a car/uber everywhere" category. It surely won't be us "car guys", maybe CUV fanatics?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think the Mustang II was the first non sports car Mustang

if they think that people are buying the name it doesn't work, GM tried that with the GTO when the they used the Pontiac Ventura and stuck a GTO badge on that

• Agree

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It wasn't that long ago that fomoco pushed back on the idea of 4dr dilution of the brand.

But I guess these days, they're just deseprate for any gimmicks they think might help. I can only guess they hope people see the mustang name and expect the speed, performance, etc that the name has carried out of their ugly new shitbox. I think the backlash will be interesting to see

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Does that mean the mustang is becoming ONLY a 4dr electric vehicle from now on or its adding to the "mustang" platform.

Is it going the way of Mitsubishi making the eclipse for decades and then renaming it to a CUV and calling it an eclipse again

Or is it going the way of the chev Lumina where they had a lumina sedan and a lumina minivan

I havn't seen anyone clarify this yet. Just that it has the "mustang" name

I think the only thing anyone cares about is if ford keeps production of the RWD 2dr based car.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I hope Ford doesn't blow it. They NEED to make money so I can make money. Their stock is a fairly hefty dividend stock (about 6.8%!!!!) making me over 100 bucks per month at the moment just sitting on it. And currently only around 8 bucks and change per share, I'm still above water by around 12%. I could have sold at around 10+ per share earlier this summer, but I relented at the last second thinking there may be more life to go...I may have cut my own throat here. I got a standing stop loss order in for it though, so it shouldn't kill me if it tanks.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Barf. Don't care. Moving on.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Barf. Don't care. Moving on.

How about an analogy:

Fiat rebadges a small European model that's now an electric, compact, and bubbleshaped cuv. They put on a similar pair of tailights and call it a Challenger T/A Ultimate. All good? :p

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Meh who cares really. Make everything electric for all I care, they will eventually. Times are changing, blame it on the millenials all ya want but it ain't gonna stop/change anything. Gas powered or electric powered, our old shi#boxes will always be more cool 😎

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor