Its official now. Im back in the Gbody game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Bought a 87 buick regal today. Filling the void that ive had since selling my 84. Nothing special about it. Base everything. But it came with out the vinyl top. Big plus.
So now that im back in it. I gotta dive through this thing as quickly as possible to get it to pass safety inspection and plated as im living at an apartment. I can always get a storage unit if need be but id rather avoid it if i can. In fact as i typed this out it is probably the route ill end up going anyways. Best to get it out of the weather with winter coming.

But here are the issues that are most pressing at the moment.

Brakes- There is a vibration that im getting in the rear end when braking. Only seems to do it when at speed and braking quickly. On a side note, and im not positive but the parking brake didnt seem to work great, but it does. I didnt play with it much, but could loose shoes cause this? maybe the vibration?

Turn signals and reverse lights dont work. I have hazards, and brake lights. I replaced the fuze in the fuze box. but i also read from another post on the forum that there should be 2 cyclinder type fuzes while mine only has one.

Transmission- The previous owner mentioned it, but i havent experienced it, that it wont go into reverse, first time and must be put into drive then back to reverse. Im not to worried about this right now as its just a th200 so a th350 will go in its place, as long as it keeps going, until that time.

Ill update with pics in a bit.

Its always a bit unnerving when you start getting into these old cars, and a bit of buyers remorse. Finding all the problems, so cheer me up guys. lol

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My newest project I bought a couple months ago is an 86" Regal hardtop that will be a sort of a T-Type look a like when I am done.
I went into this knowing I was going to replace most everything and because I think safety first I have rebuilt the entire brake system and suspension so far but half way through fighting control arm bolts that won't come out and dealing with rusty crap I started second guessing myself if this was even worth my effort but I pushed passed those thoughts and got it done and now I get to move on to the fun parts of working on these cars and am currently working on putting my brand new Gbody interior in.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
This was a country car, so shes a bit dirty and the moment. I might go wash her off tomorrow. its also been repainted at some point in its life, as some of its coming up, although most of it is good and is the factory color. What sort of concerns me is the bed lining on the lower quarter panels. Im just not sure why it was done. Mainly worried that the rust is much worse than the previous owner said it was. But the fact that they did the front quarters which dont tend to rot, and it was fine on the inside may have just been to protect it from gravel roads. The frame was good, and so was the trunk area. The driver side and passenger floorpans will need replacing in the future though.
image_zps5pbqudtg.jpg
image_zps5pbqudtg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image_zpscbocxe3w.jpg

Heres the fuze box. So if someone can guide me in the right direction of whats going on here it'd be appreciated.
image_zps14lc22wj.jpg

On a side note, does anyone have a picture on how the seat belt waist bracket attaches to the seat? The previous owner left it unattached, and im not sure if this is a saftey issue or not. So better safe than sorry.
image_zpsqo6nq4ch.jpg

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
My newest project I bought a couple months ago is an 86" Regal hardtop that will be a sort of a T-Type look a like when I am done.
I went into this knowing I was going to replace most everything and because I think safety first I have rebuilt the entire brake system and suspension so far but half way through fighting control arm bolts that won't come out and dealing with rusty crap I started second guessing myself if this was even worth my effort but I pushed passed those thoughts and got it done and now I get to move on to the fun parts of working on these cars and am currently working on putting my brand new Gbody interior in.

Thanks man, I really regretted selling my 84, the underside, interior, and the fact that everything worked was outstanding. I had buyers remose when i bought that one too. So im sure it'll wear off overtime, and i can get down to what i love about these cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor