Jeep Cherokee steering box

Rolloutcarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2022
Hello to all…I’m looking for the correct hose and fittings to put on a Jeep Cherokee steering box to a GBody power steering pump…anyone have any suggestions?…thanks in advance.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
There are some others more expert on this, but generally you can make anything you need. Find auto parts store that makes hydraulic lines. Some NAPAs do and a few others. I used to have them made locally, GM, Ford, Caterpillar, etc., but shop doing them closed.

Your return line you can just cut and clamp on return line. Fuel or Fuel Injection line of proper size is fine.

On the pressure line you just need to know fitting to use on the pump and same for the steering box. Once you know that and the length of line needed you can have one made. Make sure on both lines you leave enough slack so they don't get stretched or pulled out when engine is under load.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
First thing is just go to local auto parts store and lay out both lines next to each other. This way you have idea what you have/need and how to modify. Plus they should be able to tell you the connectors and thread size and pitch in use.

Pics attached are just generic. Borrowed from Summit Racing (R).

The under the red cap is the fitting thread you need to match to the Cherokee Box.
Screenshot_20230430-202735.png

The line with the yellow cap is the return. Usually 5/16 or 3/8 diameter. You can cut the return line on the box and then just use the proper diameter rubber line. It has to be oil resistant so is why I suggest fuel line. If you can flare it, that would be best. If you can look for proper size fitting with a straight or 90 degree ferrel that would be better.

The older style was just double flare, the newer style has the o ring at the tip and most are metric thread.

Front view...
Screenshot_20230430-202755.png

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
Ok, first thing is what year is your car? Most jeep boxes that are used for these swaps are new enough they will have the metric o ring fittings. So if yours is after I think 82, your hoses should go right on, before that, get a power steering pump from the later ones, and the hoses for the later ones and it'll hook right up. No need for cutting, clamping, rigging it up. Yes, it might cost a couple extra dollars for the pump, but it'll look factory.

Reactions: 1 user

Rolloutcarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2022
Ok, first thing is what year is your car? Most jeep boxes that are used for these swaps are new enough they will have the metric o ring fittings. So if yours is after I think 82, your hoses should go right on, before that, get a power steering pump from the later ones, and the hoses for the later ones and it'll hook right up. No need for cutting, clamping, rigging it up. Yes, it might cost a couple extra dollars for the pump, but it'll look factory.
My car is a 79’ Monte Carlo..the box came off of a 93 Jeep Cherokee…I had a hose made at a local shop…its quality but looks like it may be in a bind.
So I bought a Jeep hose and had the GM side crimped on it.

Just trying to get this right the second time.

Rolloutcarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2022
So which pump from a later model will fit my GBody?

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Not sure what year they changed to metric fittings, but I put the Grand Cherokee box on my 85 and reused the hoses. So you could get the pump and hoses for an 85 Cutlass, or Monte Carlo in your case.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Not sure what year they changed to metric fittings, but I put the Grand Cherokee box on my 85 and reused the hoses. So you could get the pump and hoses for an 85 Cutlass, or Monte Carlo in your case.
'80 up has the metric O rings.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor