Jeep Front Axle Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I was going to change the axle shaft front passenger side tonight. Got the old one out and matched it up to the new one. The new one was longer so I thought they sold me the wrong one. I checked the part number on the box and it's for my Jeep with the verilok all wheel drive. Do any of you know what length the right front veriloc axle shaft is?

thanks

found what I was looking for.....Length: 41-3/32 Inch

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I measured the new axle and found it to be correct for my Jeep. What would cause the one on my Jeep to be about 2" shorter than the new one. Can a bad CV compress?

Rick_B_86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2014
Manitoba, Canada
I measured the new axle and found it to be correct for my Jeep. What would cause the one on my Jeep to be about 2" shorter than the new one. Can a bad CV compress?

If it were only 1/2 inch, I'd say it's possible, but not 2 inches. Try clamping one end of the old one down and pulling on it, if it moves 2 inches you've got your answer.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks for your reply, I can't say for sure it was 2" difference. In my wtf moment I didn't bother measuring the difference may have exaggerated. I'm sure the new one is the right one but I will see what is up with the CV joint on the old one

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm ready for the funny farm. When I got this Special Edition Jeep I'm sure I read the Quadra Tac II has the veri loc differentials. Apparently I can't read anymore cause this axle I got for a veri loc is too long so this Jeep does not have the veri loc differentials. So I looked up my Jeep again and someone must have removed that page where I read my Jeep has veri loc differentials. At least I got my tie rod changed to day and the pitman arm puller I havw worked perfectly to remove the tie rod. I guess it back to the store the exchange the axle on Monday.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I got the new one and it's nice to have the right parts. So a 1 hour job only took me about 5.....lucky I don't have to pay myself...:)

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
I got the new one and it's nice to have the right parts. So a 1 hour job only took me about 5.....lucky I don't have to pay myself...:)
If it takes an hour add 3 plus 1 to find the 10mm then add another for the beer to get cold. Then you can finally start on what only should have taken an hour

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a problem with the passenger side front axle. It rubs the axle tube when turning hard. The old axle did that when the cv joint was real bad and I though tit was just because of the cv. I look at another Jeep like mine today and the axle does not move from the center when turning the steering. I looked at all the blow up pictures I can find but none show any kind of support for the axle. Could it be this new cv is defective and forcing the axle to move or is there something else going on.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Problem solved with the right front axle. I was about to remove the right front axle from my spare Jeep and noticed that the tie rod was not shaped the same as the new one I had installed. The right side tie rod I installed on the toe adjustment sleeve was the right side tie rod for the steering sleeve. When ordered that tie rod I never mentioned what sleeve it was for cause I didn't know any better and the guy at the store never asked me. The tie rod for the toe adjustment is shaped similar but it has a curve near the end which I hadn't noticed. Anyway I got the right one in there now and problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor