Jeep steering shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I read a post at maliburacing about using the steering shaft from a jeep Grand Cherokee. Basically, it just looks better (no rag joint) and stiffens up feel of the car. I went to the junkyard today, just looking around, and found a donor 93 GC.

My question is, how do you remove the shaft from the jeep. it looks like it will unbolt from either side, buy i don't know if it will actually come out. Any tips appreciated.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
I picked up a steering shaft on e-bay a couple of years ago. It has the U-joints instead of rag-joints. I believe it came from a Chevy Astro Van. It bolts right on and is collapsable so easy to remove/install.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
I don't think it looks exactly like that one. The car is not here right now, but I plan to bring it home this week. I will take a picture and post it in a few days. I could be wrong about what it came from, but I am pretty sure the add said Astro Van.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
any clues how to remove the shaft off the jeep? I'm assuming the "collapsable" design lets you "shorten" the shaft lengthwise to remove the clamps off the shafts right?? sorry for all the quotes :lol:

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Not positive on the jeep one, but the style like I posted, it collapses enough to come right out. You need to completly remove the bolts on the clamps where it bolts to the steering box and steering column. You might have to pry with a large screw driver to get it started, but it should not be real hard to move.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
the jeep shaft is collapsible too, but you will have to break the plactic tabs that keep it at its installed length, but it isn't hard at all, took me about 10 minutes to take out with a smoke break in between

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor