Jeep steering shafts

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevymalibu283

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2013
Does anyone know what year(s) of Jeep cherokees that provides the steering shaft for upgrading the steering on g body cars? Was it '98-'02??

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
Late 80's-early 90's. I'm not really happy with mine. Too much play at the insulator between the telescoping shaft and u-joint. I just ordered a Borgeson u-joint to replace the upper one.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Your other choice would be the Astro/ Safari intermediate shaft. If you do a search on the forum you'll find more information about it.
However, I'm still satisfied with my Jeep shaft. I think you're correct about the year range of Jeep shafts.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Late 80's-early 90's. I'm not really happy with mine. Too much play at the insulator between the telescoping shaft and u-joint. I just ordered a Borgeson u-joint to replace the upper one.

The astro/safari vans have a nice shaft. If you don't mind me asking I'm curious what you paid for Borgeson u-joint you bought, I had to buy one for my Astro shaft to fit the Delphi 600 I have, the u joint cost me a little over $100

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
The astro/safari vans have a nice shaft. If you don't mind me asking I'm curious what you paid for Borgeson u-joint you bought, I had to buy one for my Astro shaft to fit the Delphi 600 I have, the u joint cost me a little over $100
$75 on Summit. I checked Speedway also, and I couldn't find one from Sweet mfg. that had a 1" DD to 1"DD listed on there, but it would have been in that ball park if they did. I have the Jeep shaft by the way, and manual steering, which also might magnify any play.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I did not want a junkyard or refurbished shaft so 6 years ago I bought a cut to fit Borgeson collapsible shaft along with their u joints.
What I like about going this route is you can put the collapsible part in a spot that gives you more clearance.
My factory rag joint was in good condition but I felt slop in the steering and I was going to adjust my steering box but decided to upgrade the steering shaft first, after installing this shaft I realized this is where the problem was and not the steering box. Glad I changed this first.

Here are the part numbers on Summits site:
brg-014931
brg-015252
brg-450024

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the shafts in the astro/safari vans are encased in a rubber sleeve and look brand new

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor