HELP Jegs crossmember

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2014
I have a 1978 Cutlass Salon that originally had a 231 V6, replaced it with a 455 Olds/TH350. I am going to install ARH headers and dual exhaust. The trans crossmember will have to be modified or changed. My question: is the chevy SB crossmember the same as the Olds crossmember? Jegs crossmember is half the price of a G Force but is listed for a SBC. Has anyone used the Jegs crossmember with an Olds 455/TH350 combination?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It will work, the engine has no real affect of application, just engine. One note to keep in mind that the pipe humps are spaced to clear how the Jegs (Heartthrob, Summit) exhaust kits fits. The G Force humps allows more pipe space but are wider & might have the Jegs pipes the hit/rub. I've had both crossmembers on my frame as I started to put it together but only fitted both my Jegs & Pypes kits with the G Force one.

Reactions: 4 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
My G Force with plenty of room on both sides to run the pipes. I even run CATs.

Attachments

• 2004R1.jpg
    2004R1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Exhst System (35).jpg
    Exhst System (35).jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: 3 users

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
I have the G-Force in mine with 4L60 and it's been great no complaints, granted I think when I bought it 10+ yrs ago it wasn't that expensive, and there wasn't much in the way of alternatives iirc.. With 3" exhaust there's plenty of clearance, the exhaust tucks up nice and high to where it's not visible at all from a side view of the car. It's a really solid piece imho.

1656639997673.png

1656640077097.png

Reactions: 2 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
I recommend you look up the Summit brand equivalent for your application if you're considering a G Force transmission cross member. It is a little cheaper. I bought and am using the Summit brand in my 87 El Camino with dual exhaust. Interestingly enough, the installation instruction sheet was a copy for the G Force sheet.

Reactions: 1 user

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
Just out of curiosity, how much space do you need between the exhaust pipe and crossmember?

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
Just out of curiosity, how much space do you need between the exhaust pipe and crossmember?
I don't think there's any hard and fast rule per se, but I would gauge it by simply having enough room that you could fit at least your finger between the pipe and the x-member? Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/2" or more should be more than sufficient so long as there's no actual contact? You'd want to be sure your engine and trans mounts are in good shape so you're not moving so much on engine torque to cause contact either. I'd say it's a judgement call based on your particular setup, engine, headers, pipe diameter, etc..

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor