Joining the Wagon club

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I very recently purchased a 1981 Pontiac Grand LeMans Safari wagon from California, still waiting on the delivery though, it could be another week or two, hopefully not too much more before it's in my possession. But it's paid for and I have the title, so I guess it's technically mine? :D

I always thought about getting a g-body wagon if the right deal came along, this was kind of an impulse buy. Being rust free, the faux wood paneling and 81' specific front end helped sell me, plus the price was reasonable even though shipping is a significant cost. Runs/drives, trans has a reverse issue, bone stock, 3.8 and low options. Have plenty of ideas, there is a pecking order in my fleet and it will be done on a budget, at least early on.

Plans for the first year are adding a F-41 rear bar, F-41 or hollow f-body front 36mm bar, SS/fast ratio steering box, jounce bars if it doesn't have them, tossing on my 14" checker Monte Carlo wheels in favor of the stock hubcap wheels. I did just buy some 15x7 snowflakes for it, will eventually get tires and possibly change the gold to black or go with the all aluminum look and go with those to keep the all Pontiac look going. Once I have it in hand see what other small stuff it might need and just cruise around in it as is. I do have a set of new Eibachs laying around, likely Bilsteins to go with those in due time as well. Down the road the 3.8 will be replaced unless I fall in love with it for some reason :rofl:

Attachments

• SafariWagon.jpg
    SafariWagon.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 250
Reactions: 6 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Congratulations on your new score, Paul.
Sounds like you have some cool plans for it. Oh, and welcome to the Longroof Society.
Be sure to post some more pics after you accept delivery. I like the '81 Pontiac year.
The snowflakes should look great on the car.

Btw, Is that a Buick Sportwagon in the pic behind it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Wagon Club?...maybe I should buy one to see what goes on in that club...:cry:

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 7 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
You won't. Believe me. Unless it has fuel injection and a turbo...from the factory. :LOL: Mine's coming out as soon as I can afford to. Nice find, BTW! :)

I don't expect to :) . I had a 3.8 in a 86' Cutlass about 15 years ago as a winter beater. Drove fine for what it was, but it didn't find anything endearing about it then, doubt I will now especially since I had a 305 back then, now used to a bit more power in everything I drive. But if it runs/drives nice, I'll leave it be until I get a game plan in place. Supposedly even the AC blows cold. Might toss in the spare 200-4r I have, but not sure how a 3.8 would do with OD and I assume highway gears.

And that is some kind of Pontiac wagon I think, the person I'm buying it from is a big Pontiac guy, has several others in his stable including 1-2 more g-body LeMans wagons, one might be for sale soon, a loaded one I believe, 79' or 80'.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Same here. I just want to get my 3.8 running, driving, and smogged to make the car road-legal. That’s about the extent of my love for it. :sneaky:

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Ewww... who would want one of those? You're going to hate it!

;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor