JOUNCE BAR ISSUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMERA355

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2008
Bellflower,Ca
So I went to the wrecking yard yesterday to see what I could find. I came across a 78 Cutlass that had Jounce bars. I take em off ,and go home to clean and install them... SURPRISE... I find out my chassis is not drilled and tapped at the engine cross member to install them. .... Any ideas ?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If I recall correctly the bolts are self tapping so it should only be a matter of drilling the holes. You could go back to the car you pulled them off of to measure where the holes need to be or make a template, if you are uncomfortable doing by how it looks.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
As Jared mentioned above the bolts are self tapping. Good idea on the template. Another thought could be to bolt the one end to the frame and line the other ends up nicely on the crossmember and drill the holes.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

GAMERA355

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2008
Bellflower,Ca
well.... bad news .... i was under the car and not only was there no holes, the section of the crossmember where I have to drill is smashed by the previous owner. I might have to back burner this project for now. I may have to have someone do some cutting and welding to make this work ... BUMMER !?!?!?!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Can you take a picture of the mounting point on the frame, it just seems like a really odd spot to somehow smash since it is on an angle and higher than the rest of the crossmember

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I've pulled quite a few sets of jounce bars and I do agree that it seems hard to damage that portion of the cross member, but on the same hand I've seen alot of worn bolt heads along with bent bars. Not sure how their doing it but they are..

This is probably the worst I've pulled..

vPsj6j.jpg

9cy5pw.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I've pulled quite a few sets of jounce bars and I do agree that it seems hard to damage that portion of the cross member, but on the same hand I've seen alot of worn bolt heads along with bent bars. Not sure how their doing it but they are..

This is probably the worst I've pulled..

vPsj6j.jpg

9cy5pw.jpg
Probably by crashing that stuff into raised concrete in front of stores.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
was the car painted orange and had a confederate flag on the roof?

Reactions: 1 user

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I've been under a lot of GBodys and pull jounce bars if they are not bent up. I would say at least half the time they are too bent up to sell. I've never seen a GBody without the drilled pad on the front crossmember. I've probably sold fifty sets over the past several years and probably have fifty sets right now. timo22

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor