BUILD THREAD JRP's '87 Regal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Played hooky from work today and instead took a ride to Summit in Akron. Once I hit the turnpike the weather was clear and sunny. I took the humble Toyota, it's easy on gas and just plain comfortable on the highway. Anyways I bought my Flowkooler water pump. I need to find some decent looking water pump bolts or buy some new ones and I can get it bolted on.

View attachment 117934
AlloyBoltz.com, TA, will have bolts. Are your timing cover holes through or blind? TAs covers are blind (stupid) so I had to get new 1/4-20 bolts that were shorter. Hardware store bolts and lock washers painted black will work fine. USE ANTISEIZE.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Also ask your engine guy if he put thread sealant on the long cover bolts. If not and you have a mysterious leak, you know where its from.

Nov 4, 2012
Found some new bolts and installed the water pump today.

IMG_20190712_142830740-2672x2004.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Your water pump has a longer snout than mine. I wonder why.

Nov 4, 2012
Your water pump has a longer snout than mine. I wonder why.

It's a Flowkooler 1621 for '73-87 applications, measures 4.5" from gasket flange to pulley flange. I think there are actually 3 different lengths for water pumps for various years.

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Joe, not sure if you saw my post...but here is my Cutlass top plate with electric fans. Literally the brackets are just 1/8"x1" aluminum trimmed down. Once my top plate gets back from powdercoating I'll get finished install pics. Until then, here comes the hijack!!!
20190707_195121.jpg
20190708_190509.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I mean the little nub that centers the fan clutch. Yours looks about double the length of mine. Granted mine is for a hot air GN and is GMB brand. That one you got looks neat tho.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I do like the Flowkooler CNC closed impeller they use now. Mine on my Olds 350 is an older model with the plate riveted on the open, stamped GMB impeller. The Dodge Stratus fans cover even better than the injectedcutty's above and pull over 40 amps on startup. I do have a similar bracket setup.

• Agree

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I do like the Flowkooler CNC closed impeller they use now. Mine on my Olds 350 is an older model with the plate riveted on the open, stamped GMB impeller. The Dodge Stratus fans cover even better than the injectedcutty's above and pull over 40 amps on startup. I do have a similar bracket setup.
Agreed on the status fans, I already had the car wired up for these from years back, so it was easier to drop these in and literally plug them up and done. They pull 2700cfm and I've yet to have a overheating issue in 10+ years with this brand.

Nov 4, 2012
Joe, not sure if you saw my post...but here is my Cutlass top plate with electric fans. Literally the brackets are just 1/8"x1" aluminum trimmed down. Once my top plate gets back from powdercoating I'll get finished install pics. Until then, here comes the hijack!!! View attachment 118059 View attachment 118060

Scott I did see your post but I didn't remember the specifics of it. What radiator are you running? Not a hijack at all, incredibly helpful actually!

I mean the little nub that centers the fan clutch. Yours looks about double the length of mine. Granted mine is for a hot air GN and is GMB brand. That one you got looks neat tho.

Ohhhh, ok. Yeah it does stick out kinda far doesn't it? The Flowkooler is actually a regular GMB pump with Flowkooler's own CNC milled impeller on it. It was Bob's recommendation, and it's got a lifetime warranty so it's what I went with. I tried finding info on the TA high performance pump, but I couldn't even find a picture of the impeller.

I was impressed at the machining on the impeller, very tight tolerances. The fins need to be as close to the housing as possible without touching for the pump to build good pressure, and using clay to measure, these ones are about .020" away from the housing compared to about .195" with a Gates pump.

Are intrepid fans available new or are they a junkyard item only?

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor