BUILD THREAD JRP's '87 Regal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have seen new Stratus fans online. I paid $30 at a wrecker for mine. I guess it depends on the rad width. Mine now looks like injectedcutty's, current rad is 34" wide. It fit the 31.5" rad like it was made for it.

Reactions: 1 user

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC

didn't know about the stratus fans, did know about the intrepid fans

I happened to score big, as one of my best friends changed direction on his build, and handed me a Mark VII fan for free...

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Joe, I'm running a Champion dual pass for the LS swap...PN#CC162DP. Any of the '162' numbers fit our cars...I think the EC162 is the regular driver side upper outlet. The fans are spal knockoffs, but built identical...search ebay for PN#HC7106.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

I happened to score big, as one of my best friends changed direction on his build, and handed me a Mark VII fan for free...
I wonder what the amp ratings are for both fans? If the pics are right, the Stratus are 7 vs 5 blade for the Intrepid. I wonder what the Severe duty option was the description mentioned? I believe I cut off the 4 bolt on tabs on both sides.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012

I think I've been using stratus and intrepid interchangeably. I just remember them all as crappy Chrysler products lol. Thanks for the links Darin!

Joe, I'm running a Champion dual pass for the LS swap...PN#CC162DP. Any of the '162' numbers fit our cars...I think the EC162 is the regular driver side upper outlet. The fans are spal knockoffs, but built identical...search ebay for PN#HC7106.

The EC162 is the radiator I was looking at the most. It seems like it has mostly positive reviews with a few caveats. I'm not set on anything but the Champion certainly looks promising.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We have the same radiator Scott has in Sean's Camaro. It was made in China, which we aren't crazy about but the quality is very good and it has a lifetime warranty. We started out with a USA made Griifin radiator that failed within 4k miles and was long out of warranty. The Champion radiator fits better too. Also, they say they can provide you with a USA made radiator for a higher price. We were tempted to do this but didn't as we had a deadline to get the car back together.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
We have the same radiator Scott has in Sean's Camaro. It was made in China, which we aren't crazy about but the quality is very good and it has a lifetime warranty. We started out with a USA made Griifin radiator that failed within 4k miles and was long out of warranty. The Champion radiator fits better too. Also, they say they can provide you with a USA made radiator for a higher price. We were tempted to do this but didn't as we had a deadline to get the car back together.

Well that's reassuring. Griffin was the other brand I was looking at but I was more interested in the Champ mainly because of the price. The main complaints I've seen were that the nipple for the overflow is too small and the cap is pain to get on and off. I think it was doublev on the forum who had some issue with the Champion but just about everything else I've seen has been positive. If I have money at the time I'll put up the extra cash for the US made one, if not, well whatever I guess.

What was it that failed on the Griffin, do you remember?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The Griffin failed where the core was joined to the tank. I looked at reviews for that particular part number after it failed and there were numerous others who had the same bad experience and Griffin doesn't stand behind their product. Never again. We didn't use the Champion cap. It's a bit gaudy. We used the Delco cap that we had on the Griffin. It looks more stock.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
The Griffin failed where the core was joined to the tank. I looked at reviews for that particular part number after it failed and there were numerous others who had the same bad experience and Griffin doesn't stand behind their product. Never again. We didn't use the Champion cap. It's a bit gaudy. We used the Delco cap that we had on the Griffin. It looks more stock.

Well that's unfortunate about the Griffin, but if the champion cap issue is as easy as swapping caps, then it's not even a problem. The Champion is looking better and better. I wrote off Cold Case after all the trouble that pagrunt has had with his.

I'm currently thinking Champ Radiator + Intrepid/Stratus Fans + Cutlass Top Plate = Win

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The Champion sits right in the rubber saddles like factory. We don't like putting China parts on our cars but I couldn't be happier with the Champion radiator in Sean's car.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor